LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Srilakshmi Srinivasan (Owner)     15 March 2010

Self earned Jointly owned property



I own a independent house which was jointly purchased by myself and my husband and its our self-earned property.

We both are the joint owners of the house and have 2 small kids.

My question is if we don't have a will in place and if one of us died what hapeens to the property, will it be shared among my 2 young children until they come of age or is there are other legel partitions like myside of my husband's side of the family can claim a part of it.

Please do reply and thank you!



 1 Replies

rajkumar.vnm.marupeddi (advocate)     15 March 2010

If any one of joint owners dies intestate, the undivided half share of deceased male person in the joint property shall devolve upon his legal heirs, mother, wife and children who shall . If the deceased person is female, then her undivided half share in the joint property shall devolve upon her husband and children. All the legal heirs will have equal share in the undivided joint share of the deceased person(whether male or female)  

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query