Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Seek Legal Advice (NIL)     29 September 2014

Seek advice

Hi All,

I am a working woman married about a year ago. Since the day of my marriage my father in law has discontinued contact with my mother and my family. Further he always indirectly puts hurdles in my routine so that i cannot visit my mother's place. My husband is of the view that I should silently accept his commands. They are giving me mental stress with every little thing, however (at the same time) writing msgs and letters to me in a very polite manner. My husband stops me to take vehicle/ autorickshaw from home to work although that it stands the complete day in the building only and no one else uses it.

They also dont allow me to hire a maid for household chores. My father in law and my husband are also forcing me to give up my job. I realised the limit of their stingyness for me when he refused me to buy a particular kind of rice from grocery which I desired to purchase for home. There are no financial set back that my in laws are facing at the moment. My husband earns a handsome amount of Rs. 50,000 per month and his phone bills and conveyance are paid by his office still they force me not to spend money on even necessities.

As I could not tolerate all injustice done to me by them and various unbearable insults to my mother, I left my in-law's home few months ago.

Kindly advice what is the appropriate step further.

Learning

9 Replies

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     29 September 2014

@ Author,

1. It is easy for one spouse to break marriage but it is seen difficult to keep reunited spouses for long. Grounds for breakup may vary from standard of living to place of living to various related factors as alleged by respective spouses to a marriage. There is no concept left as who is ideal hence Law also not look into idealness in  marriage other than as may be ‘observation’ in a Judgment. All Law looks into are ‘grounds’, ‘evidences’, ‘arguments’ and ‘fault’ and there pops ‘divorce decree’ and a marriage break-ups with its repercussions that follows. 

2. Be that as it may sound, since you currently living at your natal home, the first and foremost thing that is suggested that you should do is to keep yourself engaged into some productive remunerative work and second thing that is suggested that you should do if you want to maintain matrimony alive is to keep your door open till as long it takes to reconcile. Some issues between spouses take long to reconcile and some immediately break due to faulty thinking or under various outside influences and there is no so called subtle social route or legal steps to take immediately as per your brief fact is my view. 

3. However, what all are mentioned as your facts are not coming under ‘ground’ to seek divorce at the moment nor they facilitate using stricter criminal law against him-FIL etc. is my view.  

4. However if current separation and question of future is paining you then suggested to discuss them first with neutral relatives – elder family members from both sides by setting up joint-unilateral meetings and failing all such efforts then set up meeting with an seasoned local advocate found via reference to discuss 'then' options. 

[Last reply]

Vickey Seerapu (Lawyer)     29 September 2014

Before taking any decision you have to think that whether i am on right or wrong track.This is not a correct way for leaving your law's home. Once you left the law's house means so many problems will arises. So, go back and see what the way they are thinking about you. If you find something wrong is going on then approach mahila police station. They you can find a solution means counseling for your husband and your father in law. Definitely your problem will resolved. 

Prasad (Systems Engineer)     29 September 2014

Hi Working Woman,

As your query is not specific to any legal issue, I have few follow up questions.

- Are you fed up with your husband and his father, that you want to legally separate?
  Please. Please. Give a break. None of what you have mentioned here is a serious issue.

- You are saying that you are being forced to spend money "even" on necessities.
  You are also saying that you are being forced to give up your job.
  These 2 statements are contradictory. They cannot do both. Right?
  If they force you to give up the your job, how can they expect you to spend money later?
  If they force you to spend your money, how can they force you to give up your job?
  As another daughter of the house, are you spending any money on your own willingly? If not, why?
  You want to be a working woman. But still you do not want to spend any money for your own family?  
  You want to be a working woman. But still you want all your expenses to be paid by your husband?
  Then what are you earning for? 

Why don't you come forward and spend for your FIL and husband? Gift them some good thing.

- You said your FIL has discontinued contact with your mother and family.
  But, is your mother and family continue contact with your FIL?
  Why you think your FIL is putting hurdles from meeting your mom?
  May be your FIL wants you to spend more time in adapting to matrimonial home.
  If so, what is wrong with that?
  Is your mom and family members visiting you at your new matrimonial home?
  If not, why? Ask your mom to come and visit you as much as possible.

- You want to take vehile to office but your husband/FIL stops it.
  May be they want you to travel safely in a public transport than driving in the city traffic.
  Without doubting them, talk to them with a smiling face and find out.

- What are all the unbearable insults that they did to your mom?
  Is your mom telling you to spend your salary on your matrimonial home?
  If she is not advising you to do the same, then how do you expect your FIL to believe your mom.

- You have mentioned that they did not allow you to buy specific rice from grocery store.
  Are they, at least, allowing you to purchase it from your own salary?
  And not allowing you to purchase a specific rice is "injustice" to you?
  You will go to work and earn money but if you are asked to spend from your money, you will not spend.
  Is this not "injustice" to your matrimonial home? 

Please take time to adopt to your matrimonial home if you still love your husband.

I quote Mr.Tajobindia. 
 "Some issues between spouses take long to reconcile and some immediately break due to faulty thinking or  under various outside influences and there is no so called subtle social route or legal steps to take  immediately as per your brief fact is my view. "

Kamu Mumbai (Asst Manager)     29 September 2014

Hi,

1st of all i want to know procedure of divorce. and in below cases, please give me your suggestion.

person married 17 year before, but their marriage life is not good, because the person is living in village and he married according to their parents. his wife is a inheritance mental patient. He has tried a lot in psychiatric test in various medical in India. All the proofs available. most of the doctors failed and reason is inheritance. Almost 13th to 15th year he has take care of her wife and at last 4 years her wife is staying in her mother's place.

In these four years the family members of girls torture the man many times and they are saying you keep your wife in your home.

As the person is a too much god believer and don't want to divorce, as he married in front of Agni, as per our hindu tradition. The person don't want to file a divorce case, because his wife's brother is a lawyer. and the person is a bit week for fearing our social life. 

kindly advice on above case.

Seek Legal Advice (NIL)     13 October 2014

Dear Mr. Tajob India, Please note that where I spend my earned money on the things I wish to buy, my husband gets annoyed that I am showing an attitude because I have enough money to spend. I never differentiated between my natal and my matrimonial home. They do not allow me to take vehicle not because I should go safe by public transport but because they dont wish to work as an individual they try to stop me. For your information, just after 15 days of my marriage, my FIL asked me to provide list of my assets and liabilities to him and when I asked the reason behind giving this details, he bluntly refused to answer. Now can you pls make me understand whether what can be the reason behind such a thing. Where do my asset or liability matter to them? Further I have also gifted them number of things to make them happy but that remains only temporary. Whenever my mother tries to contact my FIL, he insults her which results into embarassments.To be specific, when my mother tried to visit my matrimonial home in Diwali with Some sweets and snackS, she was asked to take it back or otherwise it will be thrown out of the house. WHERE DO SUCH THINGS HAPPEN? When I try to visit my mother, either before that or after visiting, I am blamed with and shouted for any silly reason. What should be the reason behind this? Do you still term it as I am giving more importance to my natal place?

The above post was for Mr. Prasad and not for Mr. Tajob India. Please refer accordingly. My apologies for the error.

Dear Mr. Tajob India, Please note that we tried reconciling through relatives but that has not solved the purpose. In fact things have turned worse after that. I have kept my doors open for reconciliation, however my husband seems to be more interested in getting separated. In personal talks, he has accepted that his father has created nuisance in our lifes but when it comes to talk to his father about it, he steps back. Now he does not want to reconcile as per his last words. I do not wish to stay with my father in law anymore as he troubles me intentionally every now and then which does not allow me to live peacefully. Kindly advise.

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     13 October 2014

It is sin in India for a wife to do job, that too without husband and in laws permission.  It is further sin not to do cooking, washing and cleaning jobs of domestic nature and request for employing a maid, even though the wife can pay the wages of maid from her own salary.  It is India.  Here wives are there for husbands to learn lessons but not teach them.  If any wife crosses this limit, she will be called 498 wife, DVD wife and what not.  All the fundamental rights - right to earn, live with dignity are subject to husband's permission.  That is our great India's great culture.

gd dy (gd dy)     09 January 2015

nothing bt a result of difference opinion. one want to service and one feel it may hurt the prestige of family. besides v all r aware of harrasement of lady in workplace. particularly more if she is beautiful. don't aware abt queiriest.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register