LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

aarjun vhajage (Lawyer)     25 August 2017

Second petition on same cause of action

Second divorce petition after 14 years on cruelty and desrtion. The same was decided by the concern court before 14 years on merit. It went agaist husband. He didnt get divorce before 14 years. Now, husaband filed a divorce petition on same cause of action i.e. cruelty and desertoin and One more new cause of action. New cause of action is: They filed a mutual cosent divorce petition in 2015, but wife didnt appear for the second motion. And it was dismissed on default. On the date, when mutual consent divorce was dismissed, husband and wife was not present. And court dismissed it for 'NOT FURTHER STEPS ARE TAKEN;. After the dismissal husband filed for restoration of mutual consent divorce. But wife gave a say that 'she want to co-habit. and consent which was given in mutual consent divorce was under pressure. Now, husband filed a contested divorce petition. But he metioned, all the story from the begining in his petition and added one more cause of action, i.e she resile from consent, is cruelty to husband. My question is, whether Res Judicata will apply to this petition is all the story is described in petition and ask for divorce on desetion and crutly?    

Learning

3 Replies

Siddharth Srivastava (Advocate)     25 August 2017

Filing case on same cause of action , as stated by you, is prohibited by the principle of resjudicata. But the fresh cause of action as stated by you is also one of the cause of action and the same is ground of cruelty which entitled your husband for divorce. In case of need consult with details. Sidharth 9811776422

Adv Radhika Mehta (Advocate)     27 August 2017

Res-judicata will apply as far as the previous grounds are concerned and you can object to the same. However, as far as the new ground is concerned, the same shall subsist. 

aarjun vhajage (Lawyer)     28 August 2017

Thank you Sidharth and Radhika. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register