LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

OldWine007 (Service)     22 September 2013

Sec. 138or sec. 420 - which is better ?

I have been cheated by someone and the person gave me a cheque after being cought. Now, please tell me is it better to go to police with a cheating case or to do lawsuit u/s 138 if the cheque bounces. What is the max period of imprisonment in both the cases if the amount is not recovered? Thanks in advance.

Learning

3 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     22 September 2013

You can file a cheque bounce case u/s 138 NI Act or a case for cheating you u/s 420, but in both the cases you have to prove the legally liable debt after which the accused will punished as per laws but there is no guarantee that you will get back your money through compensation because it is purely the discretion of the presiding officer of the court to order for compensation amount besides punishment for the offence hence recovery of money through a civil court though time consuming may being some respite one day.  Least but not last, try recovery through your influence through Police.  Advocate Kalaiselvan, Vellore, Ph: +919443441062

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     22 September 2013

police may not be entertain these case because they said that this is a civil cvase or cheque bouncing case so go to court to file a case. you can file a case u/s 138 of NI Act read with sec-420 of IPC

Jopat Omprakash Radheshyam (Proprietor)     02 October 2013

In my opinion the offence of dishonour of cheque u/s 138 is punishable by NI Act and the offence of cheating or fraud is punishable by CRPC.Both are different offences and separately trialed.Both the proceedings can be started separately having to pressurise the accused to have early results.A civil suit for recovery must be filed separately.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register