Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

A1981 (abc)     03 November 2011

Sc proposes lok adalat for dowry deaths

Hi 

I am looking for this case details, I will be very thankful, If anybody can provide any detail about below case.

"The Supreme Court has mooted to settle dowry death cases, pending for more than five years in the apex court, through the Lok Adalat.

The proposal, announced three days back by the Supreme Court Legal Services Committee, was put forward by Chief Justice of India KG Balakrishnan. It clearly says “matters relating to harassment, cruelty to women for dowry, dowry deaths, eve-teasing, and the Domestic Violence Act” can be considered for settlement through Lok Adalat to be held under the aegis of National Legal Services Authority.

However, concern has been expressed about the inclusion of offences where the state is the party and are non-compoundable. Arun Jaitley, a senior advocate, feels that unlike cases pertaining to compensation, motor accident claim or land acquisition which can be “imminently” settled through Lok Adalat, the dowry death cases should and cannot be referred to this mechanism."

www.­indianexpress.­com/­comments/­SC proposes Lok ­Adalat for dowry­ deaths/­286188

Thanks,

Learning

1 Replies

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     03 November 2011

It was just an opinion, I don't think it proceeded further than the opinion.

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor

harassed.by.498a@gmail.com

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register