LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ankurabi (na)     29 October 2013

Sbi credit card fraud

hi there.just wanted a solution for a credit card related fraud..my neighbour(sanjeev) received his new credit card 2 months back..his card was not activated as well..on 7th oct 2013 he received a call from a person faking himself to be SBI customer care executive and said that sir u have a sbi credit card..my neighbour said yes but I cannot use it as it is not activated...the person on other end asked credit card no,cvc code,date of birth and said that within 15 min he will be receiving a message from sbi giving a pin no..he will call after 15 min and he wants that pin no in order to activate the card..after 15 min he called and sanjeev gave him the pin no...next day he received couple of messages about change in email adress and  password,he overlooked them...but he did save the phone number of that person who called...from 9th oct his cell no was not working..he assumed it to be a default on BSNL network ignored it..but this continued till 13th oct..he called up and found that someone called in to deactivate the number...on 20th he received a message that  a transaction of Rs.38895 was made on his card..alarmed by this he called up customer care and found out that his card was used to book air tickets from a travel company called travel boutique..four transactions were done on 9th oct for amounts Rs.36000,28000,34000,39000...he was shocked by this.Sbi infromed him to fill in dispute form and send with a copy of MCP from merchant related to transactions...travel boutique was kind enough to give us details that the ticket booking was done from a kolkata based travel agency ZET travels owned by some suryabhan yadav...with his adress..and accidently the phone no that was given for him was same no that sanjeev saved when he 1st received the call from fraudster...a scanned copy of his pan card no was also sent to us....including the air pnr for transactions done to book airlines tickets..he has forwarded all information to SBI 2day..he is waiting as what needs to be done next..one question that i had is that during this entire episode noone has ever asked him to file FIR with police....i jus wanted  suggestions from u guys as all are experts in this field as what else can be done from our end

Learning

2 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     29 October 2013

The customer is not to share his CV number, pin number with anyone.

No body other than you knows what is written and disclosed by you in the dispute lodged by you.

The dispute lodged with SBI card shall not be resolved in your favor.If amount is not paid by the due date interst 3.75%/pm, Late payment charges, finance charges, GST etc shall be added by this CC company.

Lodge police complaint and as soon as possible and let Calcutta police nab the fraudster.

Refrain from calling on phone and thus alerting the fraudster.

Once caught this fraudster can reveal that from whom he had received the info of delivery of SBI card.

It might be inside information from SBI card and courier employed by it (Blue Dart/First Flight etc................) or its agencies.

kartikeya (lawyer/cyber law consultant/cyber crime investigator)     05 November 2013

1st thing to be done is to deactivate credit card so that further misuse can be avoided. 2nd take all the details to police station . one more thing if sim is  de-activated user get notification either sim error or sim registration failed. strange he waited for 5 days...???

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register