LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sayed Maqsood Ahmed   08 January 2022

Sale of na plot by oci holder in india

I m OCI holder since 2005 and settled I'm SouthAfrica. . I purchased one NA plot in India in. 1995 while I was Indian citizen. Now I want to sell this plot and would like to know latest laws n what documents are required to sale

Learning

2 Replies

Aarushi   11 January 2022

Dear user,

The sell aur purchase of properties in India by an OCI are in parity with the NRIs. This means that they do not require any prior permission for selling non-agricultural property in India. The proceeds from such sale can be taken to your country up to 1 million US dollars per year. 

As for the documents, you will be required to produce your passport which shall serve as your identity proof. A pan card will be required to be exempted from taxes after the sale has been made. Further, if you won't be able to be physically present at the sale, you shall also need a power of attorney in order to execute the sale for you. You can nominate any friend or relative of yours to be your power of attorney. For this process, you will have to visit the Indian Embassy in your country, where you will be required to sign certain documents. Along with your signature, you will also require a photograph and left-hand thumb print. After getting this process done in your country, the document will be adjudicated in India. Apart from this, if you were renting your property then, you will have to be produce the tax returns for the rent that you were paid. An address proof of India as well as your country will also be required. This may include, an electricity bill ration card or telephone bill in your name. A sale deed, documents from the society (if your property is in one), approved building plan and an encumbrance certificate to show that there are no legal issues pending in relation to the building, are also required.

I hope I was able to solve your query. Please feel free to leave follow up questions, if any.

Sayed Maqsood Ahmed   11 January 2022

Dear Sir 

Many thanks for your information 

But recently my relative told me that the govt has barred OIC card holders from buying and selling in india 

Please  clarify 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register