FLAT 20% OFF and 3-Months ADDED Validity on All Courses Absolutely FREE! Enroll Now Use Code: INDIA20
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

tarnindarsingh   30 October 2020

Rti of a closure report of a complaint made to the police

1. A bogus complaint was filed against me u/s 509 Cr. P. C. at a local Police Station. 

2. The police recorded my statement and they were satisfied that it does not need to be converted into an FIR. So they have filed a closure report

3. Is the police duty bound to supply me a copy of their CLOSURE REPORT, if I apply for the same under the RTI Act, 2005. 

4. Thanks and Regards


 3 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     31 October 2020

Complaint u/s 509 IPC is a cognizable offence where FIR has to be registered by police. Recheck your statement.

tarnindarsingh   31 October 2020

  1. Please allow me to rephrase my question:
  2. The complainant filed an alleged offence which was committed by me and she wanted it to be booked u/s 509 of the IPC.
  3. The police recorded my statement and they were satisfied that no cognizable offence had been committed (either u/s 509 or any other section of the IPC). Hence they made a closure report but did not register an FIR.
  4. Is the police duty bound to give me a copy of their closure report if I ask for it under RTI, Act? 

P. Venu (Advocate)     31 October 2020

Yes, you are entitled to get a copy.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query