LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

G. ARAVINTHAN (Legal Consultant / Solicitor)     19 August 2009

RTI Act

Is it possible to get details of a loan/ credit card accounted in a Private bank under Right to Information Act?

Learning

18 Replies

G. ARAVINTHAN (Legal Consultant / Solicitor)     19 August 2009

I want to get details of a credit card's transaction

rajesh sharma (advocate)     19 August 2009

Yes, you can get ,but what is the need of RTI, U just write them a letter and ask them to provide the same . But under RTI third party information will not be provided . You can get your account status only.

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     19 August 2009

If you are lucky as even RTI Act is now becoming history.

G. ARAVINTHAN (Legal Consultant / Solicitor)     20 August 2009

But they have to answer my query - i mean the transaction done due that payment na..

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     20 August 2009

They will give you details of your transactions - no thirdy party business is allowed.

I am a party to the transaction - so i need to get details and they must furnish me details

Do not bother about RTI. Just write a plain appln. They will give details. If not, then think of RTI and Banking Ombudsman.

The case reach Banking Ombudsman soon. But the question is whether the bank provide details of the transaction under RTI Act?

If bank is silent, make an appln under RTI. Send it to its Head Office,. Attach an Indian Postal Order of Rs.10 in the name of the bank and send it to the Chairman. You can find out the name and address from the website of the Bank.

We have send the same... what is the remedy when they not furnished any details?

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     21 August 2009

Write to the Chairman (by name) of the bank. Get it from the bank's website. If bank does not reply to RTI appln, file an appeal. If still there is no reply, file second appeal with CIC. At the same time write to RBI.

prof s c pratihar (medical practitioner &legal studies)     21 August 2009

pl go through the judgment university of calcutta v pritam rooj published in (2009)WBLR(cal0PAGE 1045. SINGLE BENCH JUDG. ALSO PUBLISHED IN AIR ALSO A CLASSIC OF PROS AND CONS OF RTI ACT 2005.PUBLISHED ON 7TH AUGUST O9.

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     21 August 2009

Dear Sir,

I am afraid that I fail to understand the relevance of Calcutta High Court judgement to this matter. RTI Act prescribes modalities for getting information and filing of appeals. Unless it involves substantial question of law, the decision of the Information Commission is final. I suggest let all possibilities, including Ombudsman, should be exhausted first. Read Sec.22 of the RTI Act. It overrides all other Acts including Official Secrets Act yet if you try to get a one-page document from the Registrar of Companies, they don't follow the RTI Act and you end up spending more than 150 rupees where other PIOs would charge Rs.2 as copying charges. They say they are governed by Companies Act and have their own rules.

Pankaj Rai (Lawyer)     27 August 2009

Dear, you can't get information through RTI from any private bank,company,institution etc.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register