LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kannan Venkatraman   10 June 2024

Rogue tenant

Hi, am an NRI and now facing a problematic tenant in chennai who to refuses to vacate my property in Thazhambur. He's not paid rent for a month now and I have served him notice to vacate 3 months back. The house rent agreement expired in Dec 2023 and repeated calls to tenants were not returned. I couldnt even establish contact. Ibhave served 2 months notice as per the agreement and that has expired as well. Since Iam not based in India,it's difficult for me to pursue this matter and the tenant doesn't even answer my phone calls.Could you please advise me how to get him vacated within a week or so please? Can yoi suggets a good lawyer to take this to court ?


 6 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     10 June 2024

After having issued a eviction notice and waited for two months, you don't have to beg him to vacate.

You can file an eviction petition before the concerned court.

No doubt the court proceedings may take time but you have no other option.

However, note that you need to be present here before court for filing the case as well as for conducting the case otherwise you can authorise anyone by giving power of attorney deed to represent you before court on your behalf.

Kannan Venkatraman   10 June 2024

Thank you very much Sir. Can you please refer to a good lawyer nearby to help me out ? I have local contacts who I can authorize and give power of auttorney. 

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     10 June 2024

You have to look for a lawyer suiting to your requirements by yourself.

Besides it is not known where you reside and where is the property located.

You will find a list of lawyers if this forum hailing from your location, you can choose one of your choice 

Kannan Venkatraman   13 June 2024

Thanks Sir. 
My house is in Thazhambur Chennai. I am living in Japan. The tenant has filed a petition to the Munsif Court asking him not to be disturbed with repeated calls. As NRI my only option is to call at his phone and talk. Now that he never responds, it is creating a lot of stress on me. I somehow feel that they are doing some illegal activity at my house. Hence very nervous. 
I am reaching out in this forum, to check if there are lawyers who can help me out.



P. Venu (Advocate)     13 June 2024

"The tenant has filed a petition to the Munsif Court asking him not to be disturbed"!  The statement is less than convincing. Is it the only relief he has sought? 

Kannan Venkatraman   14 June 2024

Yes Mr.Venu. I haven't received the letter myself yet as they have sent that to my old address which might have returned. They have copied the house association and I came to know from house association about the details (attached screenshot). 

Attached File : 1050458 20240614063854 b05f6a16 2514 427e a978 7d1f212146b8.jpeg downloaded: 5 times

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register