LCI Learning
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

K S Segar (Director)     11 December 2009

rights of a ration card holder

 Due to some family problems I have filed a divorce petition in the family court some three months ago.  My wife violently took my two children (age of 9 and 10) from me influencing the police force.  I have filed one more petition for that too.  Both the cases were pending in the court.

Our family ration card is in my name.  So i took my ration card and kept it with me .  Meantime my wife launched a missing complaint in the civil supply shop. when i went to the civil supply shop my card was seized from me by the shop man who was not interested in my views.

So I asked him an acknowledgement for that, which i got after a long argument.

Then i went to the civil supply officer and report about it.  He replied that what his man did was right.  Now my ration card is with him.

And what i have to do to restore my ration card from him?  And is it legal to seize the ration from me?

Kindly answer me.

Thanking You.




 7 Replies

niranjan (civil practice)     11 December 2009

Ration cards are being issued by the Mamlatdar of the area and so the shop keeper cannot seize it. You give in writing to the Mamlatdar  and also write to the Collector about  wrongfully seizure of your ration card. Though ration card is only meant for distribution of  grains etc. however many deptts. ask for ration card as proof of your residence. ASk for extract of  register maintaining the details of your ration card from the mamlatdar.

Even civil supply officer doesn't have any right to seize K.S.Sagar ji, your ration card until unless it found bogus. Ration card is in your name, on that your photo will be photographed. If the ration card kept in their custody official concerned has to give acknoweledgement/receipt. You can lodge a c omplaint with Revenue Divisional Officer and Joint Collector for their harrasment and illegal way keeping your ration card under their custody.

Santosh Sharda (self)     09 January 2010

I think the ration shop owner has committed an offense. He had no right to seize the card.


I agree with Niranjan Sir,  You can make a representation before the Dy. Commissioner about the incidence along with the Acknowledgement which you have stated to have received from the fair price shop person, I think your problem would be solved.

Parthasarathi Loganathan (Advocate)     28 January 2010

Mr.K.S. Sagar is entitled to file a criminal complaint against the erring official narraing the facts of the matter of ration card as it is a clear case of wrongful seizure of Ration Card

R.SHAH (OFFICE STAFF)     20 February 2013

Hi all, I have made ration card (orange) with salary mention on it 'X' as my annual salary approx. 'X'. on that time. After 7 years i have applied for duplicate ration card on account of loss/theft after following procedure of it, in that i have mentioned same salary and other members details in order to avoid any complication as it was on original loss ration card, rationing officer issued me ration card marked as "Duplicate issued" with salary as mention 'X' . Thereafter, 2 years i only add / delete the members name in the card by applying forms as per rules to rationing office. subsquently they issued me with alteration in memebers names as mention by me. After 6 months i acknowleged that salary mention in ration card is not what i actually drawn at present and at time of making duplicate ration card(on account of lass/theft) and felt that it would be amount to crime, then i apply letter for surrendering the present ration card (orange) as i eligible to white color card as per rules and my salary hike. So, subsquently i applied and get the new white color ration card from the rationing authority. I heard that my Ex-inlaws, Ex-wife new this and want to harrassed me unnecessary, intentsionally so they are in process of making application and pressurising the rationing officer to take criminal action as i have not disclosed the actual annual income which is above poverty line for orange color card and obtain orange color card. In this unknownginly fault i will be liable for any punishment etc.. kindly help / advise me.

Adv k . mahesh (advocate)     05 March 2013

i agree with Mr Parthasarathi

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register