Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Emmanual@123 (IT)     18 April 2016

Reversal of amount credited in wrong account number

Hello guys,

First of all, I am not sure that if this is the right place to ask this question.. If not, my appologies..

I have transfered around 8000 INR from my Paytm wallet to my ICICI bank account last to last week. The amount was not credited till last Thursday and I contacted Paytm and they send me their fund transfer acknowledgment. In that I found that the account number I entered is wrong. Account name and IFCS is correct, I entered the account number by last one digit. 

I already contacted ICICI customer care and they said that I will have to deal with the home branch directly. 

My question is, Is it possible that the fund can get credited to an account if the name in the account miss mach?

Thanks in Advance..

Learning

6 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     18 April 2016

It happens and you may instead of phone calls write to BM of your branch (under proper acknowledgment) to block the transfer and write to concerned Bank/branch (with a copy to you) to which funds got transferred (due to error) and retreive the funds.

Likewise you may write to PayTM as well, of course under proper acknowledgment.

JustAdvisor (IT)     19 April 2016

At least my banker told me that they match the name too. Otherwise logically why ask for the name? Anyways a payment by mistake has to be reversed by the bank. Follow advise given to you as above.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     19 April 2016

Build irrefutable written record and entrust to your lawyer if you are unable to resolve.

Emmanual@123 (IT)     19 April 2016

Thanks everyone for your reply.. 

I have contacted the branch, and they said that the amount has been creditted to the wrong account number that I have entered.. It was an account thats not active from long time, hence the account is in NPA state. The confusing part here is, first name on the account do not match, but the last name match.

Branch asked me that the name on the account is diffrent and still the amount got creditted and as per them, I have given a written request stating to reverse the payment back to paytm.

They havn't given me and update so far... Still waiting.. 

:(

Thanks..

Kumar Doab (FIN)     19 April 2016

If the a/c is not active then it should be doemant and not NPA.

The bank can reverse the entry if it is wrong entry.

Prasun Chandra Das (Banker)     26 April 2016

Banks will process the RTGS/NEFT transactions based on acount no.only. Name in a/c no.will not be checked by Banks. This is as per RBI circular no.RBI/2010-11/235, DPSS (CO) EPPD No. / 863 / 04.03.01 / 2010-11 dated 14.10.2010 (see https://rbi.org.in/scriptts/NotificationUser.aspx?Id=6043&Mode=0).

I think if you will take this up legally you will lose. So take it up with the Bank and request them to help you by adding some personal touch.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register