Civil Procedure Code (CPC)

Renting house to a foreigner

I am planning to rent my flat to a foreigner who are basically from Maldives. Regarding this I have some  questions.

1. Is there any legal problems in renting the flat to a foreigner. ?

2. What are the documents I need to check before I proceed with them further. ?

3. Do I need to include any special points in the agreement along with the normal ones. ?

4. If the tenant involves in any criminal activity whether the house owner will  also be liable ?

If yes, what are the precautionary measures I need to take to avoid any future problems.

 Thanks in Advance...!


just made out normal rental agreement and mentioned that he is foreigner then mentioned your near area police station that above said tenant details. that enough.


For To By Green Kindness Perpetuity Selfsustainability Always

Delhi has 'Tenant verification process". If that is applicable in this case, that itself will take care of all the questions.

Dy Director

You have not stated your profession.  If you/your spouse is emloyee of Govt/PSU/Semi-Govt you cannot contract with foreign national without prior permission of the department. You have also not specified the status of your prosepctive tenant. Whether ordinary person or diplomat. If diplomat and if he does nto pay the rent then who are you going to sue.

assistant manager


What Law or act dictates that govt employees need to take permission from their Dept prior to leasing their flats on rent to a foreigner.


Dear Sir,

I am also going to rent my house to foreigners. Please help in case any additional formality needs to be taken care of.

Will House Owner be liable for any wrong doing by tenants. Its an independent house, thats why I am more concerned.



1) Police verification is must for tenant in local police station is must before giving house on rent.

2) If ur government employee then government permissionis require before giving ur room on rent. Also take C form from the tenant. If tenant is diplomat then u cant sue him.

3) There is no such legal rule wrt giving room on rent to foreigner provided follow point 1. & 2.

4) The photo ID proof , Address proof and two reference from his local residence need to be considered, mobile no etc document require from tenant.

5) As per mutually agreed by both party decide Terms of reference of agreement. No need to incorporate special terms for the contract.

6) Law state that who ever do wrong act will be responsible for his own act and no other will be responsible for it. Owner is not responsible for any wrong act done by tenant.


Dy Director

Originally posted by : sanil


What Law or act dictates that govt employees need to take permission from their Dept prior to leasing their flats on rent to a foreigner.

read conduct rules applicable to govt servants.




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum



Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query
Civil Litigation Course     |    x