LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     29 November 2015

Remove job age limit for divorced/widowed women

often there have been court judgements and even LCI discussions that educated women should not seek maintenance.they should seek a decent job for self sustenance.

however,none realises that many divorces occur even after the women has crossed mid 30s or 40s.

as per my knowledge,most of the MNCs,pvt. companies and govt jobs have certain age limits to apply for jobs.so there are USUALLY no takers for women who have crossed their specified age limits.

in that case,they are forced to run from pillar to post to seek maintenance,or survive doing small jobs which pays them peanuts.

so,instead of lecturing women on finding work instead of harassing husband for maintenance,why cant govt enact such laws which make it mandatory for all employers in pvt,govt and MNC sectors to allow divorced/widowed women of any age(upto retirement age) to apply for jobs?

it's better for the judges and govt. to make lives of harassed persons easier instead of giving "pravachan" every now and then..

Learning

9 Replies

uphar upadhyaya (na)     29 November 2015

per service k cahat me dushparinam hue to nimmedari kaun lega..mentinance to husband ki jimmedafi hai..

per service k cahat me dushparinam hue to nimmedari kaun lega..mentinance to husband ki jimmedafi hai..

per service kicahat me dushparinam hue to jimmedari kaun lega..mentinance to husband ki jimmedari hai..

Originally posted by : uphar upadhyaya

you are right.but sometimes maintenace has been denied on various grounds,including wife's high qualification.she's advised to find a job.else she's termed as exploiter/lacking in self respect.but no one cares about women who've crossed age limits for job and cant find one despite being well qualified.this is what i'm signifying in my post.

Latly,a deceased husband can't maintain a widow,if you know..

advocatepassy@gmail.com 971794 (Advocate)     29 November 2015

Yes. You have made a point. But can the Govt force private companies to change its rules ?

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     29 November 2015

Author, you raised a good point but at the same time the qualified women shall not raise for maintenance after divorce for any reason.  In such cases, the point raised by you is correct.  But in most of the cases, either spouse (especially women) demand maintenance. then?

Originally posted by : Advocate Vinod Passy New Delhi
Yes. You have made a point. But can the Govt force private companies to change its rules ?  

pvt companies i guess are operating due to govt. licencing only.

for the welfare of society govt must enforce these rules on them too.

suppose a pvt company employee faces discrimnation over salary or harassment at workplace.he can sue the company and if proven right,the company will be forced to follow court orders to give him justice.it's not that private companies have a right to harass just because they run independently.Labour and service laws formulated by the govt too apply here.

therefore such rules about doing away with the age bar must apply on private companies too.such companies are not running in a house that its owners can do what they want with job seekers..

Democratic Indian (n/a)     01 December 2015

The question raised by author has legal substance. There should be no discrimination by age if intelligible diffrentia is not intelligible enough. Heard that this is the practice in USA. If someone from USA can shed more light on this since Part III of Constitution is based on US Bill of Rights.

Union of India and the States should stop this unreasonable age discrimination during recruitment and retirement. It is a violation of various fundamental rights under Part III of Constitution by State. At least this one:

Article 16. Equality of opportunity in matters of public employment.—(1) There shall be equality of opportunity for all citizens in matters relating to employment or appointment to any office under the State.

More details can be read in the following link https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/experts/Is-it-discrimination-or-inequality-before-law--251381.asp

Born Fighter (xxx)     03 December 2015

Roshniji, i appreciate n respect ur views...

Govt will do nothing or will take years to create jobs for such deserving women who want to become self reliant/earn for themselves.

There are many freelancing opportunities available for people of either s*x that offer decent salaries and even Business opportunities with zero investments, some of these opportunities are even work-from-home. Im talking specifically about women who are reasonably qualified and have crossed age of getting freshly employed in Govt / private sector.

Pls note these are jobs with companies that do not look at a persons age/qualifications......eg many BPO's/IT cos have such positions and mind you...one can even work from home. 

The percentage of women who VOLUNTARILY want to take up a job (rather than claiming maintenance from husband ) post seperation/divorce is very less & if there is a will they can definately get employed with a decent salary (based on their IQ / dedication / hard work )

being in the recruitment business i can suggest the above....

All the Best !

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register