LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sunil Chawla (Lawyer)     25 September 2012

Registration of marriage without 30 days notice

Can it be possible that without 30 days notice, registration of marriage is possible with registrar?

AN indian citizen staying abroad and coming to india for marriage for 7 days only.


 6 Replies

Jayakumar (LD Clerk)     25 September 2012

As per special marriage act you cannot override the 30 days time, but you can do one thing. Notice for marriage need not to be given in person. It can be sent by rgistered post. So fill the forms, attach your copies of age and address proofs, get signed by both bride and groom and send it by registered post to the marriage officer (Sub Registrar) in your place. The priscribed fee can be sent by moneyorder. Moneyorder slip should be attached along with the notice. After 30 days you can go to the Registrars office and solemnize the marriage. Be careful to solemnize it between 30 and 90 days, since after 90 days the notice will be expired. 

Arvind Singh Chauhan (advocate)     25 September 2012

I think you are confusing between marriage under special marriage Act and registration of marriage. There is difference between solemnization of marriage and it's registration. To perform marriage under special marriage act 30 days notice is mandatory. But after any type of marriage, if only it is to be registered, no notice required and it can be required on any day with required formalities.

Arvind Singh Chauhan (advocate)     25 September 2012

Sorry!!!!! """ required and it can be REGISTERED on any day with required formalities. "

Jayakumar (LD Clerk)     25 September 2012

even in the case of registration of marriages celebrated in other forms (schedule 5) also require the 30 days time. You have to submit a declaration that you are living as husband and wife and the marriage will be registerd after 30 days public notice. See section 15 and 16 of Special Marriage Act. Moreover both the husband and wife should be staying within the jurisdiction of marriage officer immediately preceding the date of application and this make, in most cases, the application for registration of marrige can be made after 30 days from the date of marriage.

Arvind Singh Chauhan (advocate)     26 September 2012

Sir In my view, if marriage is not solomnized under special marraige act and person is Hindu.

It shall be governed by Hindu Marriage Act and pocedure of registration therein.

Philadelphia (Horticulturalist)     19 April 2018

Hi There,

You sound like you have a lot of knowledge about this and probably the best person I can ask my question to.

I am looking to get married in Mumbai in the next year. I am a foreigner and my fiance is an Indian National. As we both work outside of India we are unfortunately not able to spend much time in India to submit our intention of marriage, nor the additional 60 days in the country.

What our our best options here? The best thing my fiance can do is visit the country next month but only for a few days.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads


Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query