Intellectual Property Rights: Practice and Drafting by Adv Gautam Matani. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mohammed (Officer)     17 May 2012

Regestration of marriage followed by nikah



Dear All,

        I just want to know, how can i registered my nikah and under which act in Navi Mumbai. Myself and my wife belongs to orissa.She was a non-Muslim and we got married under special marriage act in 2009.Now with our family mutual understanding she got converted to Islam and we had performed the nikah(Marriage) in masjid (in Mumbai) and the nikahnama is issued to us. Now Shall we once again register our marriage or the previous registration is enough. Her name is changed and in both SMA Marriage certificate and Nikahnama. Both have different name. Is that nikah nama issued by Qazi is not a legal document?? As i need the registration of our marriage for applying the passport of my wife. Please help me...Urgent


 4 Replies

Adv. Gulammayudin A. Gagdani (LEGAL ADVISOR)     17 May 2012

well do you have any proof of change of name.

if you have proof of change of name you may not apply for registration once again.

proof of change of name will do with earlier registration under SMA.

1 Like

Mohammed (Officer)     17 May 2012

@ Gulammayudin Sir,Thanks for your valuable response.Yes i have the news paper clippings of one national and one regional newspapper and her new name also got published in Maharastra gazzete and we are having that copy with us.

Wether it will not get problem when we will move to abroad,as many gulf countries require translation of marriage certificate.

My Previous SMA regestration is in Bhubaneshwar(Odisha) and My nikahnama is from Mumbai,as i have done nikah in a masjid in mumbai.Will it be any problem in future ???


Adv. Gulammayudin A. Gagdani (LEGAL ADVISOR)     17 May 2012

well in that case you can get it converted in english from any notary public

Mohammed (Officer)     17 May 2012

@Gulammayudin Sir: I have all the documents in English (Previous SMA Certificate with old name,Nikah nama,Papper clippings and gazzete)But I am just worrying that when i will apply for visa then the concern embassy will translate my SMA Certificate to Arabic and in that arabic SMA Certificate her old name will be written.How to tackle this ??

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register