Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Pranav (---)     13 September 2014

Regarding passport -name issue

Hello Everyone!

                         Within next few months I am planning to apply for Passport .For that purpose, I got my Birth Certificate from Municipal Corporation. (I am from Maharashtra)

                        My name is “PRANAV". And this name is appearing in all My School leaving certificates, Mark lists, and Degree certificates and also on my Pan Card, AADHAR CARD, Voters ID Etc. I mean to say that I have been using this name right from my birth ---without any exception. This is the name with which my parents admitted me in school. Naturally, it appears on all my documents.

                       BUT, on my Birth Certificate issued by Municipal Corporation the name is appearing as “PRANAVKUMAR"

                      To the extent I know, this is the mistake of that person (the Municipal Authorities) who first entered the name in the register as "PRANAVKUMAR" instead of "PRANAV".

                    BUT, once entered-- the name cannot be changed.

                    To the extent I know this issue will create a problem for me in getting my passport.

So, I Request all the members here kindly suggest me Legal remedies /Options available to me.

If any affidavits are to be made, where I should make them? The City Where I was given birth   or the City where the Passport Office is situated? I mean any Jurisdiction issue.


Please Guide me. I would be obliged.


 3 Replies

Deepak (Student)     14 September 2014


My name is Deepak and I was born in 1992. I am looking to apply new Passport for me with my full name "Deepak Munjal" but I have only first name mentioned in the Birth Certificate(DOB Proof) andonly first name mentioned in the Aadhaar Card( Address Proof). 
However, I have FULL name mentioned in my 10th Marksheet (NECR Proof).

Can you please let me know if I need the Affidavit for name change with advertisement in the news papers. Please let me know if we can have any other issue at the time of interview at PSK or in case any other document required.
Please let me know asap. Thanks for your help.


tushar (Assistant)     14 September 2014

You should apply to govt. gazzette office with an affidavit correcting the name you find fit

Deepak (Student)     14 September 2014

Thanks Tushar!

Could you please help me with the correct Annexure to choose from the below link:

Thanks a lot for a quick response.



Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query