regarding interstate death and lost accounts


My father expired few months back interstate since it was quite sudden. Hence we are not able to locate his entnireslife savings which he saved in some bank and is quite a big amount as we already know. Is there anyway that a certain bank can provide the information of his account existing or not with them centrally for a particular city? Since there are 3-5 branches of one bank per city I cannot go everywhere personally and there s a chance of missing one.. I once saw maharashtra branch manager accessing account information in other city using their online system. 

What is the proper way to find out this information? If its beyond by limits I could hire appropriate lawyer here.


Nikhil B




Majority of the banks including local area banks, co-op banks have CBS branches.

All banks have aggressively implemented KYC norms.

Any branch by just entering name, Pan Number, DOB etc can locate all a/c’s in same bank.


You may carry the death certificate, your ID, proof of relationship and there won’t be doubts…………..


The elders are organized and usually keep detail of all a/c’s, lockers etc at one place safely.

It may take some time and effort.


If your father ever availed a credit the credit reference agency would have all a/c details.

If you have Pan Number obtain help from any friendly person in some company having access to check credit score e.g. banks’, NBFC, Finance Company etc…..


If he was employed try to obtain Form 16………..It has income from all sources………..


Obtain ITR copy……………has accrual of interest details……….

His mutual fund guy may have some details………….


If he was drawing pension , the bank disbursing pension may be your source………..


Valuable advice of learned experts/members is sought.




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum



IPC Grand Course     |    x