Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Asha Patwa (------------------------------------------------------)     26 March 2013

Regarding establishing of religious worship places in govt.premises.

What are the laws regarding the establishing of  religious worship places in Government  premises ?

Learning

4 Replies

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     27 March 2013

As far as I know there is no central law either allowing or banning constructing places of worship in Government premises. I do not know whether any State has enacted any law. I think governments follow a liberal policy. In any case there cannot be any compulsion for anybody to worship there.

There are two types of Government premises. There are premises with access to the general public like say, a railway platform and there are places with access only to Government employees who work there.

S.Sankarasubramanian (practcing advocate)     28 March 2013

India is a secular country. The same  issue came in the case of pooja ceremony of Saraswathi Pooja in Tamil nadu.

S.Sankarasubramanian, advocate.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     03 April 2013

@Advocate 

S. Sankarasubrmanian

"The same  issue came in the case of pooja ceremony of Saraswathi Pooja in Tamil nadu."

Where did it come up, in a court of law or elsewhere? Was there a final verdict or a kind of unanimous or majority opinion?

(Guest)

@Querist,

Come with full facts. With the given facts, the general reply you have already recieved by Ld. Member/Expert Shri Ramani. There is no such law.Religion is a matter of faith.It's our fundamental right to profess,practice,and propogate religion suject to public order,morality,and health.The restriction can also be imposed by other provisions mentioned in part III of the constitution of India.

Note-This reply should be taken as per the declaration given in my profile page.

Thanks,

Regards,

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register