LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ardor ( )     22 March 2013

Regarding divorce proceedings

I have married an American Citizen (an Indian) with proper Hindu Rituals in front of relatives, but we dont have a marriage certificate. After 16 days of marriage I came back to my parents place. I applied for divorce after one year and my lawyer has been sending notices through court, but it is not being accepted by the other party.Almost a year has goneby and all attempts through court also failed. Now the court is trying for one last time to send the notice saying - that a petition has been admitted in the court against him and that his presence as well as reply to the petition is required.

I would like to know what is the best way to go about this case now. The first step I had tried was to get a mutual divorce, that also failed. My lawyer says we would be trying for nullity of marriage. (I have been lucky enough to get a nice lawyer and have been following his advice) I only want to get a proper legal status and dont expect to via for any alimony or anything. What would be the best course of action. This is just to understand more about my case.

Also I want to invite some suggestions where I want to save another girls life, because I doubt this guy was married before, he didnt disclose this to me. I know this would help me a lot for my case - but I dont want to get into this. I want to stop this guy from repeating it again, I can see his profile active on all matrimonial websites where he has mentioned his status as bachelor. He also has lied about age in his profiles.

Learning

2 Replies

Adv.Vandana Vaidya (Advocate & Regd. Patent Attorney)     22 March 2013

Well, your intentions maybe good to stop this guy from deceiving another girl in marriage, but your remote locations will definitely hamper lot of your actions. First of you must, inform the local US Police about the guys activities and file complaint with their agencies. I am sure you have done nothing while you were in US and hence the trouble now. Secondly you must publish the summons in the daily local news paper, if he is not getting served or contact any lawyer in US and take his help to serve him.  Or contact the consulate and inform them about the case status and take their help to serve him.   

Adv Vandana Vaidya

Ardor ( )     23 March 2013

Thank you Ms Vandana.

I am not located in US but in India now. I guess he is not accepting the summons puposely. He told me he will trouble me a lot for divorce...and that is what he is exactly doing. I am not concerned about he getting married, but my concern is he should not lie to the girl he is marrying. I am not sure of his intentions, but his profiles on matrimonial sites stating he is still a bachelor bothers me.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register