LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Amit Kumar   15 February 2024

regarding divorce alimony

for a 2-3 years marriage where wife stayed only for 7 months total in sasural and currently working from last 6 months away from sasural earning above 30k and if divorce is finalized then how much alimony approx need to be given and for how long??
does court consider the fact that my father has been retired and I have three sisters.
i handle most of expenses of my family.

we don't have any child.

my salary is same as her.

Learning

8 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     15 February 2024

If she is filing an application for maintenance or alimony then both the parties will be required to file affidavit declaring their assets and liabilities.

In that case, you can deny giving maintenance to her as she is employed and drawing an equal salary income.

Advocate Bhartesh goyal (advocate)     15 February 2024

You can't  escape for payment of maintenance on pretext that your wife Is earning something, it is your moral and legal duty to maintain your wife .

Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     15 February 2024

If you have proof of income of your wife and you can peove that she can well maintain herself being self earning then you need not to pay maintenance for her, since you have no child so that is also not applicable. Just negotiate some lumpsum amount as alimony and end the matter  once for all 

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Telangana state Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     15 February 2024

Working or Non-working, wives are entitled to alimony provided they meet the requirements for claiming the same! The law is settled where a wife unable to maintain herself is entitled to get alimony.

Shashi Dhara   15 February 2024

Resign to your job and file maintenance against her if she is earning, if husband is unemployee, wife is earning she has to pay maintenance if she demands alimony. Show income proof of her and take divorce without alimony.

income proof kaha se laon wo lucknow mein job karti hai, main Udaipur mein rehta hu.
@rama chary sir she is already maintaining herself from 6 months and living in Lucknow.
@real soul how to prove she can well maintain herself.
she is happy already living in her own terms doing job.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     15 February 2024

How did you know that she is employed and drawig a salary equally to that of yours?

You can collect the information through the same source and contest her maintenance claim before court especially if she furnishes false information in her affidavit for assets and liabilities.

There are various judgments by many high courts and even supreme court stating that the working women with handsome salary would not be eligible for maintenance amount from her spouse.

she told this to my father and relatives, also I saw pic of her in linkedin

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register