Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Recusal of judge from hearing cases

Page no : 3

G V S Jagannadha Rao (-)     17 November 2009

A very interesting debate. Members have expressed opinion on both sides. I support the recusal of Judges for the following reasons:

1.     Justice should not only be done but should also appear to have been done. A person cannot be a judge of his own case. Therefore if he is even remotely interested in a party and even if by merits of the case such party succeeds in the case, freedom of speech and expression is generously used and all kinds of stories are floated against such Judge. This can only be avoided by the Judge by recusing from the  case.

2.     Media has become omnipresent these days and even an innocent question posed by a Judge to the Counsel or a  mild friendly censure to the counsel like – “why cant you come prepared thoroughly in the case”  can be seen reported in media and at times blown beyond proportion. Another tendency which I have observed is there is a section of litigants and counsel selectively posting information in the media and the rest of the media debating on such issues. Judges being human beings with   likes, dislikes, sensitivity may like to avoid  public  debate on the questions posed by them (sometimes misinterpreting their questions ) This might have contributed largely to the recusal of cases by judges.

In such eventuality what has to be ensured by the Honourable Chief Justice of the concerned court or the Honourable Chief Justice of India in listing the matter immediately before another bench and ensure that the precious time of the litigants is not lost. Ideally such case should be posted before another bench at the same place in the cause list or immediately after lunch if the matter is originally listed at the top of the list, which would have otherwise reached before the original bench before lunch.

(Guest)

hi it is necessary that JUSTICE IS NOT ONLY DONE BUT IT IS SEEN DONE.

(Guest)

A Judge has a very important position for deciding justice. He will be called as Dhrama Raju. It is the highest position in the world. Due to his position he should confined to the judiciary only. Even his hobbies also to be restricted. He should follow rigorous rules of his own to uphold the diginity of the Judge. Even if a case is filed against any of his family member also it is his duty to hear and deliver verdict without any partiality. Indian mythological story King Satya Harichandra is a good example for Judges.

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     17 November 2009

I think we have enough of SHOULD. What other are required to do is SHOULD. But not applicable to us.

(Guest)

That is depending upon person. 'Should' to be use because they have to abide by the law and in return they are getting good remunaration from the Government. A citizen have every right  to question within his limits of the law.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     17 November 2009

For my conclusion on this issue I would like to point out this. Consider a scenario where a Judge Son is haul up in the court before his father (Judge) for an offence of theft or murder. And the father tried the case and fount that the evidence speak of different story and in all fairness the son was acquitted. Yet, public will look at the trial with suspicions, as such it is only fair that the judge should recuse from such case to maintain the purity of justice. Thank you all for the lively discussion.

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     17 November 2009

Dear Sir,

They don't accept judgeship for remuneration. I need hardly tell you that a lawyer fighting corporate cases makes crores in one case alone. Recently, when they made their assets public, what we found was that even a lower/middle level government servant is better off. Therefore, it is the post not the remuneration that attracts them.

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     24 November 2009

Fortunately he did not recuse and worked for 17 years after retirement.

Liberhan Commission, headed by the retired judge of Indian Supreme Court M S Liberhan, was constituted on December 16, 1992, by an order of the Indian union home ministry following the demolition of the Babri Masjid in Ayodhya on 6 December and the riots in Ayodhya. The Commission was expected to submit its report within three months.

A Supreme Court Judge retires at the age of 65 years. The Commission was asked to submit its reports within 3 months. 17 years later, after 48 extensions and at the cost of 8 crores, the report was submitted to PM on 30/6/2009. I am surprised why it is personally handed over by these Commissions to PM or any other Minister. Is it for photo session.

It means Justice Liberhan would be 82 years of age. The rest is history.

The report should have been presented to Parliament within a period of six months i.e. upto 30/12/2009. But, LEAK dear Sir, LEAK. Home Minister Chidambaram says there were only two copies. His copy is under lock and key. Justice Liberhan says he has not leaked.

Dear lawyer friends, can you solve this mystery. No reward.

Arup Kumar Gupta, Korba, Chattishgarh ((m)9893058429)     31 December 2009

yes judges can do it - legaly,moraly &constituionaly- akg

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register