Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     07 July 2009

Ratio decidendi in S.N.Mukherjee Vs Union of India Please.

Dear Members, Grateful if some of you can highlight the ratio decidendi of the Supreme Court Judgment in the case of S.N.Mukherjee Vs Union of India;1991-9016)-atc-0445 S.C. The case relates to recording of reasons and principles of natural justice. Thanking you all in Advance.

Learning

7 Replies

sunaina (Lawyer)     07 July 2009

Ratio of S.N. Mukherjee Case (AIR 1990 SC 1984):

"Except in cases where the requirement has been dispensed with expressly or by necessary implication, an administrative authority exercising judicial or quasi-judicial functions is required to record the reasons for its decision".

Kindly also look at the decision of P & H HC in Maj. Dimple Singla v. Union of India of 2008, wherein it is observed that : The words "if the Court overrules" have inherent in them the requirement of reasons so as to overrule the plea. Thus, even if such rule is silent regarding recording of reasons, it is inherent in the word `overrule'. Thus, in this case it is held that reasons are required to be to be recorded in cases of special plea.

My Dear Sunaina, thank you for your responds. it appears that the case of Dimple Singla is very relevant, but unfortunately i am not having that case.

sunaina (Lawyer)     07 July 2009

Please find below the link for Dimple Singla Case

https://indiankanoon.org/doc/22476/

Hey! that was Great of you. Thank you my dear.

Shree. ( Advocate.)     07 July 2009

Dear Assumi Sir,

In the case of Maneka Gandhi vs. Union of India AIR 1978 Supreme Court 597, their Lordships of the Supreme Court laid down the following principle. The Courts insists upon disclosure of reasons in support of the order on three grounds :

(1) the party aggrieved has the opportunity to demonstrate before the appellate or revisional court that the reasons which persuaded the authority to reject his case were erroneous ;

(2) the obligation to record reasons operates as a deterrent against possible arbitrary action by executive authority invested with judicial power;

and (3) it gives satisfaction to the party against whom the order is made. The power to refuse to disclose reasons in support of the order is “exceptional in nature and it ought to be exercised fairly, sparingly and only when fully justified by the exigencies of an uncommon situation”.

Similar view has been expressed in S.N. Mukherjee vs. Union of India AIR 1990 Supreme Court 1984.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     11 July 2009

Dear Sir.Shree, thank you for your valuable contributions on the subject.

Abhishek Joshi (student)     04 November 2009

Sir I'm a law student. Can u please tell me where can i get brief information on several cases. i find the cases on this site quite lengthy.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register