LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

kannan (s/w)     18 August 2008

Question of registration

I bought a land on my Mother's Name.

Can she register settlement deed on my name? Can my sister claims any share on the property without her consent? She is still alive.




 8 Replies

Krishnan Venkatachalam (Legal professional)     18 August 2008

Dear friend,

If your mother has no intention to give a share to your sister, then she can execute the settlement deed in your favour as the land has been acquired on self acquiring basis even though you have financed it. In such case your sister can not make a claim on the land purchased by your mother. 

D.V.RamaKrishna (Advocate)     18 August 2008


Agreeing with what Mr. Krishnan stated your mother can certainly make a settlement deed in your name of the land purchased in her name as her self acquaired property though the same was financed by u. If a settlement deed is executed by your mother in your favour then your sister cannot make any claim over the property questioning the settlement deed. But if your mother does not make any kind of such settlement deed then later on your sister too will get a right to share in the property.

Mr. Gaurav Pandya (Advocacy )     20 August 2008

(1) No.

(2) No.

Gaurav Pandya (098985-98184)

shamit sanyal (advocate)     20 August 2008

mr pandey cant get the meaning of your reply followed by your cell no,can you clarify please if you tend to differ from the replies given?

Guest (n/a)     20 August 2008

Mr. pandey,

Can you please give further information for the reply

Mr. Gaurav Pandya (Advocacy )     21 August 2008

Self acquired property as per the law, nobody can claim for share

i.e. your sister.

As per your query, we think that property is purchased by you on your mother's name.

So not required further clarrification

Plz note my name is : Pandya

Srinivas.B.S.S.T ( Advocate)     22 August 2008

Mr. Pandya what if the owner of a self acquired property dies intestate?

Mr. Gaurav Pandya (Advocacy )     25 August 2008

Self acquired property is the person who purchase the property from own money and he is the legal and soul owner of the property.

After the death of the soul owner his/her legal heirs will become the owner of this property.

Advocate Pandya

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register