Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vivek (manager)     03 June 2013

Query regarding dowry

Hello everyone,

My name is Vivek. I am here to post a query which i observed in many forums like LCI regarding dowry issue.

I have seen in many cases, wife side people put case against hubsand that, they gave so and so amount of money, gold etc etc at the time of marriage and still husband and his family is demanding for more dowry. And they link  that issue to harrasment and put 498a and DV. At the same time, no case against wife side for giving dowry at the time of marriage though it is punishable.

Now my Question goes like this:

1. As per DP act, both giving and taking dowry is offense and punishable. With such act in force, how the law files case only against the husband for taking the dowry and leaving the one who give?

2. Or the dowry given at the time of marriage is waived off for girls side in favour for harrasement for dowry demand? Or After marriage, dowry given at the time of marriage is not taken into account or is not valid.

Please share your suggestions or citatations

Learning

2 Replies

Advocate Deepak Gupta (Lawyer)     03 June 2013

As per DP , you may file case against wife and her parents , but its reflect negative on the side of husband , its may prove that husband side also demand dowry. whatever allegation levelled against husband side is only primary evidence . In  sec 498A word use cruelty ( Mentally and Physically ) , by  Husband or relatives of husband of women ( Wife) .

Vivek (manager)     14 August 2013

Please throw more light on this issue.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register