Criminal Trident Pack: IPC, CrPC and IEA by Sr. Adv. G.S Shukla and Adv. Raghav Arora
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sayed Maqsood Ahmed   02 April 2022

pune Municipal corporation tax


I was paying very less Municipal property tax since years, but the corporation is now charging too much tax citing the reason that the govt has stopped giving 40% rebate to all owners since 2017 and the corporation is claiming the arrears of 40% of the tax from 2017.

The property tax for the financial year 2022-23 has been increased three fold as compared to previous years.

kindly suggest suitable Administrative or legal action as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance.


 8 Replies

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     02 April 2022

First, understand the fact that an individual can not fight with Pune Municipal Corporation and the assessment has to be done as per laid down norms only.   If there is a taxpayers association, join as a member and take up the fight as a group.  File online RTI application to Corporation and find out whether they have such Taxpayers association and if there were representations from that association for reducing the abnormal tax enhancement.

Sayed Maqsood Ahmed   03 April 2022

Dear  Mr. Prasad,

Many thanks for your valuable information and guidance. 

Do you know if there's any pune corporation property tax association in pune, Maharashtra state or any relevant tax payers association in pune with whom we must join to redress our Grievance of higher property tax levied by the Pune Municipal Corporation 

If yes,would appreciate it highly,if you would provide me their complete contact details. 

Thanks in advance and sorry for the inconvenience 

Best regards 

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     03 April 2022

The slab / rate of tax is applicable to all the property owners in the municipality, which would have got sanction of Municipal Authorities, isn't so ? 

It will be prudent to form association of tax payers and challenge suddent, arbitrary and illogical increase in municipal tax levied by the Corportation, 

Local laws prevail the subject of municipal taxation, it is better to consult a local prudent taxation lawyer or chartered accountant.

Sayed Maqsood Ahmed   03 April 2022

Dear Dr.

Many thanks for the valuable suggestion 

Best regards 

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     03 April 2022

I have in my reply suggested filing an online RTI with Rs.10/-fee to know about such Tax payers' Association as even small-town municipalities are having an association, and Pune citizens are always in the front fighting against such injustice.  The address must be available with PMC and you will get a reply from PMC to your RTI Query:

Information solicited:

1. Please provide me copies of all representations received from any Tax payers' Association against the enhancement of house tax.

2. Please provide copies of office notes and action status on such applications.

Sayed Maqsood Ahmed   04 April 2022

Dear Prasad sir, 

Many thanks for additional information on this subject. 

I highly appreciate your quick and fruitful response. 

I will act as per your advice 

Best regards 

P. Venu (Advocate)     11 April 2022

Some of the States have Ombudsman to look into the complaints from the citizens. Please verify whether such an institution has been constituted in Maharashtra.

Sayed Maqsood Ahmed   11 April 2022

Dead learned advocate venu sir

Many thanks for your valuable information and advice 

Best regards 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query