LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Syed Abbas Samsudeen   25 June 2024

Property tax tamilnadu

I have a property In Chennai, Tamil Nadu and we keep paying property taxes UpToDate every half year.

Earlier we were paying Property Tax amount of Rs.13135 and on 15/06/2022 received "Revision Notice" from Chennai Corporation and they had increased the Property Tax to Rs. 29885. The property has Ground floor, 1st & 2nd floor.

Yesterday suddenly received a message saying there is due in property tax. When I went in and checked the Property Tax value is changed from Rs. 29885 to Rs.42320 without any revision notice online as well as in letter.

Another point is one more entry "Head Room" is added newly. I don't know who has added. They are showing as if new tariff is increased from 2023_2024_1st half year till this year and they have also mentioned arrear remaining amount of Rs.12435 each half year.

Kindly advise what can be done. Do i need to pay or I can have a way. Please guide.


 6 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     25 June 2024

If the addition to the existing tax is based on false information,  you may send a representation to the commissioner of the city corporation giving details and seek his intervention or  to probe into the alleged false information and request to revise the tax as per earlier taxes. 

If you don't get a proper response or no respite then you can file an appeal against the order before taxation appellate tribunal for relief and remedy. 

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     26 June 2024

Show the notice to a local prudent lawyer and challange it with concerned authorities / jurisdictional court

P. Venu (Advocate)     26 June 2024

Is it that there is a "Head Room"?

Syed Abbas Samsudeen   27 June 2024

To clear some points

  • I have not received any Tax Revision Notice either hard copy or in corporation website.
  • I am able to see the tax amount when i login with my mobile number in Chennai Corporation Website. Also getting SMS from corp to clear the taxes else there will be 1% penalty according to TNULB amendment act.
  • There is no headroom the way to terrace he must have mentioned wrongly as headroom.

P. Venu (Advocate)     27 June 2024

You can make appeal/representation to the higher authorities and if need be,  approach the judicial forums against the unfair enchancement of property tax.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     27 June 2024

If your representation to the corporation commissioner fails to fetch desired relief,  you were advised to approach taxation appellate tribunal where you can get justice as per law. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register