Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sanjeev suri (business)     03 October 2010

Property ownership

dear lawyers,

My wife's parents property was not setlled by them to their children.

They are 1sisters & 1 brother alongwith my wife.

There may be some chances for offering more share of property to  her brother as par willingness by  her parents. Inthis case, i advice my wife to claim her share equally

Will it be right as per law? Pl clarify

Learning

2 Replies

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     04 October 2010

If it is the self earned property of the parents of your wife, the parents have every right to do whatever they want with the property.  In other words, it will be perfectly their right to give / gift away the entire property to some third party - completely ignoring their own sons and daughters etc. - no body can question their action.

This being so, needless to say, during their life time if they give the property in unequal share between their sons and daughters, no one can question, and no one can legally ask for more share.  Similarly, if they leave any will  in favour of anybody bequeathing the property in whatever proportion the same cannot be questioned, unless the will itself is challenged.

However, if they do not give any share in their property during their life time, and do not leave any will, then the property will go to their children by way of inheritance in equal share.

1 Like

sanjeev suri (business)     04 October 2010

thanx for crystal clear ans

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register