LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rashmi Dutta (Social Compliance Auditor)     12 June 2008

Procedure for work permission on national / public holidays


Kindly confirm the procedure for permission of work on national / public holiday.

Thanks & Regards,

Rashmi Dutta




 11 Replies

Manish Singh (Advocate)     12 June 2008

you dont need to take permission for that but you shall be bound to follow the shops and establishemnt act in that context.

the act must be specific about the same as to how much extra  compensation shalll be given in that case.

Rashmi Dutta (Social Compliance Auditor)     12 June 2008


Is the inspector of factories to be informed regarding the same?

Thanks & Regards,
Rashmi Dutta

Santosh Kumar Dhondekar (LEGAL OFFICER )     12 June 2008

You need not inform the inspector of factories, but, you should only follow with the things as per shops and establishment act.

Saravana Rajan   17 June 2008

Pls let me know if even industrial establishments are bound by the laws pertaning to shops & establishments.

Rashmi is talking about an industrial establishment working on a public / national holiday.


Saravana Rajan. S



Pragadeesh (Lawyer/Factory certification consultant/Cyber crime Analyst)     27 June 2008



Surely you have to get permission from the inspector of factories with the list of workers going to do work on that particular day and the same has to be displayed in the notice board of the factory.Secondly double wages has to be paid.or  compensation holiday has to be given within 3 months.


As an auditor u must check the attendance,wage records,Form 5(Holiday declaration of that year,Copy and acknowledgement of the letter sent to Inspector of factories)







Saravana Rajan   28 June 2008

Thank you Pragadeesh.

Saravana Rajan

purshottamsaini (n/a)     21 August 2008

Mr. Pragadeesh,

Is there any specific Form or Format to seek the permission for this purpose?

If yes, please provide it.



Purshottam Saini


Saravana Rajan   21 August 2008

I am also looking for the format. If available, pls provide.

-Saravana Rajan

Krishnan Venkatachalam (Legal professional)     21 August 2008

Dear friends,

If the establishment referred by Ms.Rashmi is a factory, then a list of optional festival holidays (  The National Holidays namely  Republic day, May day, Independence day and Gandhi Jayanthi are mandatory holidays) has to be informed to the Inspector of factories and in the case of Shops and Establishments the same has to be informed to the local labour inspector in Form II  prescribed under the National and Festiva Holidays Act.

The respective Inspector of facories or labour inspector shall process form II and approve the list of optional festival holidays in Form III. The factory or the establishment  has to file list of fesival holdiays duly approved by the inspectorate including the National Holidays for the forth coming year in Form V to the respective authority every year on or before 31st December of the concluding year.

Non compliance of filing of form V will attract penal action against the factory or establishment.

Krishnan Venkatachalam (Legal professional)     21 August 2008

Dear friends,

For working on a National or Festival Holiday, the appropriate authority ie, factory inspectorate in the case of factory and the labour inspector in the case of commercial establishments has to be informed prior to 24 hours of such working and Double wages have to be paid for such holiday working.

The details of holiday given to the employees and details of working on a holiday has to be maintained in a register 'H' and has to be produced to the inspecting authority.

Saravana Rajan   23 August 2008

Thank you for the information.

-Saravana Rajan

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register