LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

rajesh kumar shrivastava (col)     15 June 2012

Probate/noc of siblings

My father expired in Apr 2012.After his demise when going thru the files we found a self handwritten will dt sep 2005.The will is signed by two independent witness and bequeaths the property to me.Pl clarify the following:-
  i) In the absence of a doctors certificate,  is the will tecnically invalid.
  ii) If the will is valid, then ,
       a)  is a probate necessary to execute the will,
        b) if probate is reqd , then is it a very lenghty,cumbersome and expensive procedure ( charges being asked,          range from Rs15k to 25k ,and estimatted timefor the process may extend from 8 months to 1 yr),
        c) Is an NOC and affidavit reqd of my siblings,  to execute the will, if it is valid,
        d) Since my siblings r abroad ( 3 of them), is it necessary for them to be physically present at the court for regn/to complete the formalities /documentation etc.
2. Since the above will is not regd and in the absence of a doc's certificate, the probability of getting a probate is doubtfull , as advisded by some lawyers. Hence, they are alternatively suggesting to proceed as if the will did not exsist, which they claim is much faster and less expensive.
3.  My siblings have no objections so long as they do not have to physically attend any of the court proceedings.
4.  In view of the above , i earnestly request your kind advice, to the course of action i must adopt.

Learning

3 Replies

Nu.Delhi.Law.Fora. (Advocate-on-Record Supreme Court of India)     15 June 2012

Dear Querist,

Since your siblings have no objections, getting the Will probated or a Letter of Admistration issued in favour by a competent Court, is not a problem. Your siblings need not be present in the Court at any point of time.

Time taken is approx. 1 year.

Fee estimated by you is reasonable.

Doctor's certificate of fitness is not necessary as long as no one objects to the execution of Will. Will in its present form, as described by you, appears to be valid.

Whether probate necessary or not will depend on factors like in which State you are seeking to get the Will probated. In some States, Will need not necessarilly be probated.

NOC and Affidavit furnished by your siblings will be tested for its validity from its contents and its execution.

Trust this would suffice.

Rabin Majumder

Advocate-on-Record

Supreme Court of India

New Delhi.

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (rpchughadvocatesupremecourt@hotmail.com))     15 June 2012

1. Probate does take some time, if the independant witnesses are ready to testify - there shouldnt be any problems otherwise. Charges depend on standing of your advocate.

2. As an alternative you can get a reigstered reliquishment deed from your brothers - all executed there and then he can authorise you (via POA notarized by Consul of their state) to get it registered without they coming here. That would do after that you can mutate the property in your name in the concerned municipal records.

Feel free to talk !

rajesh kumar shrivastava (col)     20 June 2012

Thank you for your valuable advice.

Since one of the independant witness of my fathers will  is very sick and aged (about 85 yrs) i do not wish to put him through the ordeal of testifying/ court proceedings.Hence i have decided to take an NOC from my siblings settled abroad.(settled in three different states/ cities of USA), as advised my one of the lawyers out here( Pune)

My siblings  are now US citizens.Pl clarify whether an affidavit and an NOC  ,in r/o my siblings , notarised at there respective place of residence would meet the reqmt for transfer of property in my name, or an release/ relinquishment deed alongwith an POA regd at their place of residence is reqd.

Transfer of propery has to be affected in Pune which is a self acquired flat in the name of my father and mother. ( my mother expired in 2005)

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register