LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Raviraja M G (NA)     07 August 2014

Premature of fixed term deposit

Can I produce my Fixed term deposit bond in other bank(where i maintain my SB account) to collect on the amount and deposit the amount to my SB account (Prematurely) with a written request for premature withdrawal of FD?

If possible Can FD accounting holding bank reject this request to collection bank with "NOT TRANSFERABLE" memo.?

Thanks in advance

Learning

3 Replies

malipeddi jaggarao (retired banker)     08 August 2014

The Fixed Deposit Receipt is a non-negotiable instrument. It can not be presented in clearing like like cheques of other banks.  However,  the Bank wherein you are maintaining your S.B.Account, can send the original FDR to the issuing Branch by post with recording your discharge on reverse of it along with a request letter from you.  Nowadays Banks do not undertake such business, they discourage and advise you to go directly to the concerned branch of the Bank wherein you have FDR and settle the matter. Premature closure is not entertained in such cases. 

RAJU O.F., (Advocate)     10 August 2014

Better approach the bank where deposit is made for premature closure; but you may lose the interest substantially, if closed prematurely.

c.p.s. ramachary (1500)     10 August 2014

There is no bar of law for collection of the proceeds of the fixed deposit cancelled prematuredly, by the FD holder, through another bank under instructions of the FD holder provided the fixed deposit holder complies with the legal requirements contemplated by the bank (the orginator of the FD) to its satisfaction. Moreover the bank paying the proceeds to another bank is on safer side as it does not amount to 'conversion' nor deficiency of service.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register