LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

manu (advocate)     29 October 2008

practice and llm

sirs, i have a query with u. i m practicing since one year. i want to persue my llm next year. its part time regular llm and classes are between 1.30pm and 4.30pm, only three hours in a day. Planning to continue my practice in the morning session. my query is, once v register our name on the roll of some bar assosiations is period of practice during the persuance of llm taken into account when calculating the years of experience? is there specific enactment which deals with this aspect?? i checked advocates act as well as bar council of india rules but both r silent on this topic. practicing advocates r permitted to teach law three hours in aday along with their practice. but what if one desires to study llm simultaneously with practice? is there any bar?? thanks a lot sir.

Learning

4 Replies

Tribhuwan Pandey (Advocate)     30 October 2008

Minimum & required qualification for practice is LL.B. which you have already and you are practicing.

There is no bar to study further when you are in practice. But you have to fulfil the rules of Bar Association to be a member of the Bar i.e. regular appearance in the court and clear the charges of Bar Associaion regularly.

Murali Krishna (Govt..Employee)     30 October 2008

I undersood your predicament. If you want to continue practice and also do regular LLM (day), it is not possible. This is simply because you cannot pursue two things at a time. Even if  you manage both the things, in future if you want to use LLM, you may face problems, especially if you pursue carear in judicial side.

My suggestion to you is to pursue evening LLM which is permitted and you can continue practice as well as study LLM. Certain percentage of seats may also reserved for practising advocates in the evening courses.  

manu (advocate)     31 October 2008

thank u sirs for useful information.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     31 October 2008

Yes, I agree with Shri.Murali Krishna, as the Advocates (Right to Take Up Teaching) Rules 1979 also permit the Advocates to take up law teaching, if that is so advocates can also be a student.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register