LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Police should be a Union Service not n under states

Our nation is a democracy and no difference base on religion, caste, region, language, class, colour, gender etc.  I am of the opinion that the states should be dissolved or that should be only like municipal corporation to provide local services only and as regards union policies and its implementation the services related to union policies should be a centralised union service.

It is experienced that the local organisation of police works under local political approach.  Hence first the police organisation should be taken up from the control of states and should be made a Union Police Service. 

Learning

2 Replies

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     10 September 2010

I agree with u Samudreji.

Policing in India really needs reforms and whole system needs complete revamp/overhaul.

But problem is who will do. Our politicians do not want to lose Police and Administration,

Voice of change must come from within the Police personnels, it is high time for a change.

Democratic Indian (n/a)     12 September 2010

I disagree that making removing police from State subject to Central subject will have any beneficial effects because of the following reasons:

1) Police is governed by Police Act 1861 which was created within 4 years after 1857 to keep Indians "in line" and protect the Police from law as "chamchas" of British Raj. Now police has become chamchas of politicians. Who becomes owner of Police whether Centre or States will hardly make any difference. It will be like old wine in new bottle. Various Committees have suggested reforms but Government does not want to make changes. Police Act 2007 is still kept in storage. https://www.legalserviceindia.com/article/l253-Analysis-Of-The-Police-Act.html Solution lies in making them answerable to law and not to politicians. Suggestions were also made to seperate police into adminstrative police placed under executive and investigative police placed under judiciary

2) Central ownership does not ensure fair or efficient work by Police. Already CRPF and BSF are under Centre and they do not lag behind in killing and torturing innocent people. They are equally or even more corrupt than state police. Example: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Beaten-back-by-Naxals-BSF-men-torture-tribals/articleshow/6533675.cms

"One of them says she was stripped, while another provided a detailed account of both mental and physical harassment. "One of them grabbed me around the chest and said, 'you are a Naxal, haven't you been touched by a man before'," says the 16-year-old girl who lives and studies in a government residential school and had come home to recuperate from illness.

"Villagers say several men were beaten up in a similar fashion all through Sunday and Monday. Narsingh Kumar, one of the five men who was brought to the district hospital at Kanker, shows his bruised back and swollen feet. "They thrust a stick inside my anus," he said."

3) Dissolving states will create extremely volatile situation in the country. Presently almost 2/3rd of country is under insurgency. Then remaining silent people will also start rebellion. It will create more problems than solving. Solution lies in decentralization of power rather than concentrating/monopolizing power in hands of few at Centre. One of the reasons for collapse of USSR was centralization of power and artificially forcing communism on people by barrel of gun. Similarly artificially forcing something on people will have similar consequences in India.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register