Intellectual Property Rights: Practice and Drafting by Adv Gautam Matani. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

bkp1 (self employed)     28 July 2023

Poa to sell for joint property

1. I live in Pune and wish to sell a small plot of residential land I own in T.N. near Hosur

2. Since, I'm not able to travel to T.N. I have the following questions:

a) Can I give a General POA to an acquaintance that I trust (not a blood relative) to find a buyer on my behalf, agree on the terms, conclude the sale, and get the Sale Deed registered in the relevant Sub Registrar's office in T.N., on my behalf.

b) Since, the GPOA will need to be registered in the Pune Registrar's office, what Stamp Duty will be applicable for the GPOA?. (Some people have said "based on Value of property' but it seems strange since this is only a POA, not a Sale Deed) 

c) Can the POA holder sign the Sale Deed on my behalf for Registration at Hosur, or will I necessarily have to travel there?

Sincerely Appreciate advise.


 2 Replies

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     29 July 2023

No, conveyance of property can not be executed through POA/GPOA etc.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     30 July 2023

You can execute a POA deed in favor of the power agent at Pune where the power agent resides and he can perform the task of executing the sale deed and get it registered in favor of the prospective buyer at Hosur SRO.

The stamp duty on POA deed may be enquired from the Sub registrar office in Pune itself instead of listening to rumours about it from irrelevant people

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register