LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kiran (Consultant)     01 February 2011

Pls Pls Pls Request your advice on a Compromise

Request your valuable advice on this case of my brother. I am just referring my brother as Husband and my sister-in-law as Wife.

1> Wife filed 498-A, Maintenance case in Lower court. ( in her Parental City)
2> Maitenence case was dismissed as Wife is earning and there are no children born out of wedlock.
3> In 498-A Case Husband's Parents were acquitted in lower Court. But Husband was given a sentence of 1 year Jail.
   Immediately Husband filed appeal against his convistion in the Next higher court ( i.e. in District/Sessions Court)
3> Husband filed Divorce case in family Court on the grounds of Desertion & Cruelty. The Case was dismissed.
4> Husband filed appeal against the dismissal of the Divorce Case in the High Court.

The actual trail has not yet started for both the cases viz Divorce Case appeal in the High Court and the appeal
against the husband's conviction in District Court [ Bothe these appeals were filed by the HUSBAND ]

The 498-A case appeal was scheduled for next adjourment in May 2011 in the district Court. [Arguments have not YET Started].

Now the wife and husband want to come to a compromise. Wife agreed to take Rs 10 Lakhs and give consent for
dismissal of 498-A case and also to give consent for Divorce in the High Court.

However wife is saying that she does not want to take Rs 10 Lakhs in the High Court, before the Judge but she wants the money
infront of some mediators and/or infront of Husband's/Wife's High Court Lawyers.

Wife in Saying that once she gets the money, then she will sign on the papers for getting divorce in the High court
and also on those papers for withdrawal of 498-A case ( appeal in District court) hence resulting in acquittal of the Husband.

Wife wants that the actual divorce paper in the High Court should Say that "The Wife has agreed for a compromise and accepted
to take divorce without taking any single Rupee from the Husband at her own will without anyone's coercion etc etc"
THOUGH in the back door she has actually taken Rs 10 Lakhs.

Now my questions are
1> How Safe it is to give Rs 10 Lakhs to my Sister-in-Law infront of some mediators/Lawyers and believe her words that she will accept for Divorce?
2> What if after taking money she doesn't come to High Court and give her consent for Divorce?
3> If at all we go for this procedure, what are the precuationary measures to take to ensure that we will not become fools after giving money to her?
4> If everything goes well, What is the procedure for getting divorce in High Court appeal and procedure for getting acquittal in 498-A Case as my
   Sister-in-Law is saying that she will give consent for both of these cases after taking Rs 10 Lakhs?
5> Since 498-A case's next adjournment is in May 2011, Should we wait until then to file for Dismissal ( acquittal of Husband) even though
   wife is ready to give her consent now ( after taking 10 Lakhs )?

Kindly provide your valuable suggestions on this.

Regards/Kiran.

Learning

6 Replies

Avnish Kaur (Consultant)     01 February 2011

since everthing is under judicial scrutiny , dont give even one penny out of court .

on next hearing of either case ask for reconciliation / mediation and settle in front of court alll terms, then it becomes a legally binding agreement.

has he really done any cruelty ? if no dont pay anything , hire  a good lawyer and pay him instead ,if he has been really cruel then pay her and sink himself in one chullu of water.

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     01 February 2011

Advise of Avnish is quite reasonable. Infact ivest 10 L in short term FD till May ;-)

1 Like

ish (Designer)     01 February 2011

My divorce case is in the court from last 2 years and I have all the proofs (videos, pics, paper work, police complaints, MOU etc.) as evidence against my wife I am taking care of My 6 years twin daughters as my wife don't want to take them along with her my wife is a central government servant she filed a case under section 9 in which she posted all the best allegations on me as I haven’t done any thing so she don’t have a proof for all of them and my mother in-law is supporting her as a witness in her case. She also said in the court that she don’t want kids. She is very aggressive and smart by her nature

Now she want to do a compromise and I told her to put an application in the Mediation center

I want to know if she puts an application in the mediation center so what effect the application will leave on her case and in case if I put an application in the mediation center for a compromise so what effect it will leave on my case as I know my case is in my hand

It will be very helpful if you can guide me what sensible steps I should take if possible I want to do a patch up but on my terms not on her terms

Avnish Kaur (Consultant)     02 February 2011

it is best to go for a compromise thru court only and not out of the court.

ish (Designer)     02 February 2011

Thanks for the help but I want to know whether to settle everything through mediation and shall I put for an application or wait for her to put in an application for a mediation

Kiran (Consultant)     03 February 2011

Dear Members,

Could someone please give advice regarding the settelment amount giving in advance issue raised in the first post?

Thanks

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register