Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rao (Software Engineer)     22 October 2008

Please read my case and suggest me immediately...

Dear Lawyers in the forum

Please suggest me immediately...
As 1yr from the date of marriage is nearing i need immediate clarification. Marriage was performed on 28.10.07. For valid reason i.e due to mental disorder of the bride since 9 years prior to marriage for which we have medical record, we want to file a petition for annulment of marriage and obtain “Decree of Nullity” of marriage under section 12 (i) b read with clause (ii) b of Section 5.

And also we are planning to file a petition for fraud against bride's father for concealing the meterial fact of bride's serious mental disorder 9 years prior to the marriage...may be under section 12 (c).

So we prefer nullity of marriage because...
1.There is no consummation of marriage sofar..even in the duration of 49 days of bride's
stay after marriage at groom's home and since then she is residing with her parents.
2.Nullity comes under the marriage is not technically existed between them and also there
will not be any claim for alimony and maintenance.
3.Since marriage was performed in a bubious manner by concealing the fact of bride's mental
illness perior to marriage.

So,my question to respected lawyers in this forum to clarify that
1.is it necessary that we need to file a petition only before 28.10.08 for declaring a
marriage as annulled under section 12(i)b read with clause (ii)b of section 5.

2.If for any reason the petition for nullification is dismissed. Can we again file a petition for divorce?

3. Does law says that a petition for nullification must be filed only before ONE year from the date of marriage? 

Regards,

Learning

3 Replies

Akhilesh Maurya (Private legal practice)     23 October 2008

I, agree with Mr. Vikas Garg

Rajesh Kumar (Advocate)     25 October 2008

For concealing important fact marriage can be declared null and void. Even if application for such declaration is dismissed, you can file for diverce as cause of action for divorce application is different from the application of declration.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register