New LIVE Course: Learn the Practical Nuances of IPR Drafting by Adv. Gautam Matani. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sanj (IT engineer)     08 May 2014

Please help me, i want to marry my cousin

Hi, me and my cousin(mother's sister's daughter) are in a serious relationship since 15 years, we want to marry and as per HMA we fall in prohibited marriage. I want to know is there any other way to marry her legally? Please dont criticize us, dont say its wrong ,gross,or immoral. I came to know from my research that only few states of USA ,India,and very less countries ban such marriages,but entire Europe,canada,Australia and some more countries allow it as perfectly legal. 

Delhi high court once gave judgement on such a couple who converted and then got married.


Please help us,


 10 Replies

Laxmi Kant Joshi (Advocate )     08 May 2014

Legally you cannot marry with your cousin sister .

Another Victim (Engineer)     08 May 2014

Arre Sanj Bhai mere , 100 crore se jyada aabadi hai, or bhagwan ki daya se achi ladki ki abhi itni kami nahi...

Please think again 

Good for both & families

sanj (IT engineer)     08 May 2014

@pankaj khurana: Sir we love each other since childhood, please understand us, im 28 and she 23, we r not teenagers to say its just adrenal rush so we feeling such. We seriously want to live married life together.

Adv k . mahesh (advocate)     08 May 2014

as you said in india and usa you cannot marry it true because our system has framed laws accordingly as our traditions and till date there is no such law and about that case i will go through it and will update 

but if you want then you said some other countries accept if you have visa then try to get that country visa and go there and marry it will be legal 

sanj (IT engineer)     08 May 2014

@ K.Mahesh: Sir, if i move to such a country and bring her also to the same country and marry, then it will be legal right?? Can u please give me more clarity on this, i dont know much abt law.. Thanks in advance..

Adv k . mahesh (advocate)     08 May 2014

ut entire Europe,canada,Australia and some more countries allow it as perfectly legal. 

in your query you said that entire europe and other countries it is legal so shift you and the girl and get married in that country and stay there which is legal 

Adv k . mahesh (advocate)     08 May 2014

go through this query conversation which is useful for your query

sanj (IT engineer)     08 May 2014

@K.Mahesh: What if my or her parents file a case in India? will that be valid?

Solomon Raju (Advocate High Court of A.P.)     09 May 2014

I agree with Mr.Pankaj....Even in Australia it is banned mister. If you are already in Europe, then check out the laws there, if any of the countries in Europe are permitting then you better shift there and get her there and marry....But all this process might make you penniless....think...

sanj (IT engineer)     10 May 2014

@raju, Australia permits cousin marriage, sir this is about my life,what will i do with money if she is not with me, sir please show me way, how can i convince her parents, please sir

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads