Intellectual Property Rights: Practice and Drafting by Adv Gautam Matani. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Tushar Santra   26 December 2020

Pil to access drinking water acility

Dear Respected legal professionals,

                                                         Yesterday I have posted once message related to drinking water and some one advised me to go for PIL.hence could any one help me where to contact to file the PIL in Kolkata Highcourt. 


Myself Tushar Santra currently staying in Mumbai with my wife and a child to earn the livelihood, my brother, a scientist working with IIT Chennai as an Assistant Professor after completing his PHD from National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan and Post Doctorate on Nano Technology from University of California and my brother wife is currently pursuing Post Doctorate on Physics from University of Oxford. We all are away from our 72  years old father and 62 years old mother who is residing at Village-Kishorchak, Post-Namalbard, District- Purba Medinipur. West Bengal-721151.


To provide water supply in each house through a pipeline under the village water supply scheme local operator has collected Rupees Two thousand from each house and to be a part of the same scheme we also have paid the same amount however’ water has reached to almost every house in 2019 except only the house where my father Mr. Gobardhan Santra and mother are staying..


To avail the safe drinking water under the said scheme my father has complained to Pradhan (Sarpanch) via letter dated 19/7/2019 , local Panchayet member via letter dated 19/7/2019 , local operator via letter dated 28/7/2019 (Annexure-3), Block Development Officer  Kolaghat (BDO) via letter dated 17/10/2019 and finally had to approach District Legal Service Authority via filling up the form dated 19/8/2019 and then on 10th September i have sent a letter to the Honorable Chief Minister of West Bengal and copy to Jal shakti Ministry and PHD Department ,Government of West Bengal and received a reply from jalshakti Ministry stating drining water is the purview of the state and they have requested the chief Secreatary to look after but till today no result,then on 6th November 2020 i have complained to National human rights commission ,petition to Honorable Prime Minister's office and Honorable President of India and  all of then have forwarded the complain to the Chief Secretary,joint Secretary but no result however West Bengal Human Right Commission has filed a case on 27th November 2020 but till today my family is denied of accessing drinking water under the mentioned scheme.


Hence’ every day my 82 years old father goes far away to get two buckets of drinking water from government tube well for their survival. More surprisingly when my old parents are sick and not able to walk in that circumstances when they take only two buckets of water from neighbor then the same neighbors are threatened from the local water operator for providing us the water.

The constitutional jurisprudence of the country developed by the judiciary has placed drinking water as a derivative right within the purview of right to life under Article 21, hence by folding my two hands it’s my humble request to provide the water at the earliest.

Under another water supply scheme government has planned to provide water to each household from nearby river called Rupnarayan in Purba Midnapur and for the same local operator has fixed the underground water pipeline to each house except the house where my father Mr. Gobardhan Santra and mother are staying.

Background of the incident: Mr. Dhirendranath Santra, brother of Mr. Gobardhan Santra is a local goons and politically involved with present ruling party Trinamul Congress and changes his political colour as per the winning political party. He is not allowing operator to install the pipeline. He is a close aide of Mr. Malay Koley, resident of the same village, who is very close to local Kolaghat Police station, as during another incident he threatens my father to put him in jail because, as per his claim he has control over the local police and just in a phone call he can arrest my father Mr. Gobardhan Santra.


Secondly, Mr. Gobardhan Santra has some lands and as his sons are far away hence’ Mr. Dhirendranath Santra and Mr. Malay Koley plans to make the entire family as refugee like Nandigram due to their strong political and administrative connections and capture these lands hence’ they are looking for an opportunity to create bloodbath situation.


 0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register