Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Yash (abc)     17 July 2011

Permission for Higher Studies

Dear Friends,

I want to know, whether it is mendatory for a govt servant to take permission for pursuing higher studies even when the course is of distant mode or the timings do not clash with office timings.

Permission is helpful in adding the education in my service record and Office may sanction leave for exam purpose. 

1. What action can be taken if i am pursuing higher education without permission? considering the point thati will not avail the benefit of adding it in my service records.

2. Is it a crime to pursue higher education without permission liable to proceeded bother legally and departmentally? considering the point that our constitution gives us right to education.

3. If the employer, (esp. govt. employer) create troubles for me after knowing the point what i can do to against my employer?

I have also heard that the Honb'le Supreme Court passed a judgement, in b/w 2008-2010, stating that it is not mendatory for a govt servant to take ask for permission for higher education, if this information is true and someoen with a copy of the judgement or any order passed by govt on behalf of this judgement may please forward the same to the undermentioned email address.

Please this is a matter of Career of mine please help me.

Thanks & regards



 7 Replies

Sajeev Menon (Legal Consultant Dubai 00971 508836442)     19 July 2011

Hi it is not mandatory to get NOC to join any education course. Any activity other than not intented for money, nor  consuming the office hours would not require any NOC.


Dear yash,

I would like to differ with the advice of Mr. Sanjeev Menon, as the question is not whether you want to take advantage of the higher education during your employment, but the question is whether that would affect your efficiency in office or not and is treated as a misconduct of employee, if he conceals the fact from his employer.

If you read Conduct Rules of the Government under which your employment falls, permission for higher studies is a must, otherwise it is treated as a misconduct for which you can be chargesheeted and disciplinary action can be taken against you. You cannot withhold the information indefinitely as some of your colleagues may leak out your taking part in the distant eduction program. At later stage it would become difficult for you to justify your action. The more the delay is made the more the serious can be misconduct on your part. Don't be afraid, just send arequest for post facto permission to your recruiting authority clearly stating that you took admission as you were not aware of the requirenment of rules for permission, and ask for pardon, if any lapse occured on your part. That may safeguard your interest and also can concentrate on your studies fearlessly.

1 Like

Yash (abc)     21 July 2011

If the employer, due to jealousy does not provide permission for pursuing higher education or for choosing any career then what are the measures to safeguard the selfinterest.  As the govt has provided the fundamental rights to every citizen of india and on the other hand the govt is authorizing the govt employers to voilate the rights of their employees by way of such rules which are not according to todays time.  

s m alim (doctor)     24 July 2012

sir i was doing post graduation from national institute of unani medicine bnagalore which is affliated to rajiv ghandhi university of health and sciences karnataka. sir durin my secon year i got job and join the post and after 3 years i got study leave for joining my remaining course. as the university rule for copletion for pg course is maximum 6 years and i come under the rule. as goverment is intrested to have pg in ther department. if institute dont give me permission for joining their what can i do.

when i come to join the job i intimate in the institute that i will join the course again as i got leave from my job. after giving application i join the job but no letter form institute comes to me on behalf of my application but after 9 months they give me letter that my admission is cancelled. sir upto 9 months they dont give any show cause and never intimate me but intimate after 9 months. so may i go legally gainst them if they dont join me the sad course

Elankannan (Scientific Assistant)     03 August 2013


I am working in a central govt organisation, basically i joined dept as scientif asst-B with diploma qualification, after 4 years i applied for doing BE in part time and i also got the permission without any problem at that time and finished course on 2010, next year on 17/1/2011 i applied for permission through proper channel for doing my Mtech course in same inisitute in partime only, and my immediate boss has signed on the same day for higher studies but the paper went to HOD he wantedly keeping the request letter till date.

I remaineded him several times, but he didn't say anything about it (Yes or No) , after six months i joined the course (on july 2011) and i finished my course.

I have done course as per procedure only  in CCS rules ' any request for examination or course joining should be answered within 3 months of period (Yes or No) and if No proper reason should be given to requester for not granting permission ', Till now the request which i made is still kept in his room. 

Sir, i need to know whether what i made is offense.

I am having photo copy of my requestion.

Shall i submit my Mtech degree to add in curiculm...

Michael J. Gayle (writer)     06 August 2017

Nowadays, the competition is so tough and the good approach is that you should to work hard and get the higher education by getting help from australia writings service to make their work excellent. Higher education is the need of everyone. The person who wants to get the good job than this approach is good.

Ramanand   09 January 2018

Sir, I have applied for intimation/ permission for higher study to HOD in 2008.After that I completed my MA course through distance education from IGNOU. But till now I have not get any permission for above. After completion of the course , I have informed to Department and necessary action. But they ask me to produce NOC for Official record of my course or for necessary action. Now, what can I do ? Please suggest me as soon as possible. Thanking you.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query