LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Monika1234 (Manager)     16 June 2011

Pending electricity bill

I bought a property in 2003, demolised in 2004 & started reconstructed in 2010. When I applied for the elcectricity connection, I was denied stating that there is a pending electricilty bill from 1999 till 2003 from the previous owner of this property.

Kindly advise, who has to pay this pending bill? The bill has become some 1.2 lakhs after penalty & other charges. I am about to start living & can not get the connection. I am from Bulandshahar district from U.P. state  (India)   

Learning

2 Replies

Darshan Panchal (Advocate)     16 June 2011

you should have verified this fact before purchasing the property that all taxes and dues were paid till  date. I wonder how connection continued despite continuous non payment. It should have been cut off after due noticeing. u may have obtained declaration or indemnity while purchasing property from the owner. he is liable to pay off this dues. u can also take legal action again him. he must have declared in indemnity that he was conveying perfect title and there was no encumbrance on the property. U obviously won't get connection unless previous dues r paid off.

1 Like

Monika1234 (Manager)     25 June 2011

Thanks for the is response. I am eager to know the followings;

1) As you said, he is liable to pay off this dues. Is there any act/regulation? Electricity department engineer is looking for this. If there is any web site we can refer to?

2) Is there any other methodology to get the electricity connection? The previous owner has moved from there residence to some south Indian state, which we are not aware of. I am afraid if a legal notice is sent to them, it would be returned back as they do not live there. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register