LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Krishna (Technical Lead)     11 June 2014

Passport show cause notice


I have an issue with my wife's passport. She had requested for the tatkal service before marriage and had got the passport from Patna Passport office within the stipulated time. But when the police verification came to her place she had already got married and was at my place. It all happened in Dec 2013.

In May 2014, her parents received a show cause letter from the passport office stating that the police verification was incomplete and that they would apply some sections 10(3)(b) of the Passports Act 1967 andSection 12(1)(b) of the Passports Act 1967 against her. Her parents did not understand the letter so they kept it with them. Today I came to know about that.

In a weeks time I am travelling abroad for my work and she would as well travel along with me.

I am not sure what to do at this juncture of time. Please can you suggest what needs to be done?

Does she has to go back stay there and then get the police verification done?

Does she needs to submit the passport in the passport office till this issue is resolved?

Or can she legally travel with me abroad and send a letter to the passport office stating the reason for her absence then as she was in her In-Laws place?


Please help me out as soon as possible. Thanks


Krishna Kant


 3 Replies

ROHIT SHARMA (Legal Advisor )     11 June 2014

1.  It would be better that she personally visit the concerned passport office and surrender her passport and explain as what exactly has had happened.  This will preempt the penalty being imposed upon her.

2. She should not travel abroad on such passport or else the same will be impounded and this make her more guilty of the offence.



Krishna (Technical Lead)     11 June 2014

Thankyou Rohit for the Reply.


I was further checking on the Passport's Government Website which stated as below:


Q7: Can I reply to a show cause notice received by me by calling a Call Centre executive?

No, show cause notice cannot be replied through a Call Centre executive. An applicant has to reply the show cause notice in written or typed and send to the respective authority by post or personally meet officer concerned.


Hence I have sent a speedpost with a letter signed by my wife along with the marriage card, photo and Marriage Certificate. Have also explained the fact as to why she wasnt available there.

Please suggest if this would be helpful anyhow else I will plan for her to visit the place personally and meet them in person.

isha (nione)     15 June 2014

Hello everyone!

I need some help pls. I have an indian passport which was agent had long long time ago and he lost it somewhere is like 20 years back. I never filed any FIR for same. He applied another passport for me then with a wrong date of birth...I was born in 1955 and new passport came with 1956 , however the month and date is same. This passport has too expired 6 years ago. I was scared of wromg dob in this passport so I never used it. What can I do now to rectify the whole situation. I just want a passport with my orginal dob. Pls help . I know we got many intelligent lawyers here. Pls help and share the information if anyone else has such a case too. What would be my penalities???? I never used my wromg dob passport to travel anywhere. That agent who did all this is dead now too. Thanking you all kindly in advance for reading my message. I am only 12 th standard passed so I was not litterate enough to make a decision as well at that time when all this happened .I was very scared. I have got somebody typing this message for me .

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register