Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Aspirant   20 July 2022

Obc-ews confusion

Respected sir/ma'am,
I belong to Caste 'A', which was considered same as Caste B in a State Govt Backward Class (BC) Research Institute document in 1997. Caste B is included in State and Central OBC list. Based on this equivalence, I obtained OBC-NCL for both Centre and State in 2019. 

Recently I went to NCBC in Delhi and they told that the equivalence will not hold for Central govt as my Caste A is not written alongside Caste B in the State/Central list. The OBC State list on Govt websites confirm that my caste A is not present along side Caste B in State OBC list. I also got an RTI from NCBC in support of my Caste A's exclusion from OBC Central list. Even in the online application in State govt portal, my caste A doesn't appear in drop-down menu (only Caste B appears).

Thereafter, I decided to apply for EWS (family income is below the prescribed criteria for EWS/OBC) in 2022 as the certificate format mentions 'the caste is not included in SC, ST, OBC (Central list)'. However, while applying for EWS, the state govt application had a clause in self-declaration that 'I do not belong to SC/ST/BC-A/BC-B'. I relied on the exclusion of Caste A (my Caste acc to ancestral land records) from OBC state list and the Central list. Since I had time crunch for UPSC application, I did not have time to surrender my OBC certificate before applying for EWS. The EWS is processed by the Backward Class office and the inspector cleared my application (I had to show him that my Caste is not included though I told him that I have a OBC certificate which was not placed on record in self-declaration and he told me no need to surrender the OBC right now, just don't renew it). I had applied in 2 exams using that OBC (before processing EWS, have not used/renewed OBC-NCL afterwards) but never got selected even with OBC benefits.

I applied for UPSC with the EWS certificate. In the meantime, I got selected for Central Services Group A through UPSC based on previous year's exam (applied in General category and did not use OBC certificate) which made me well known in the district and state.

Now I feel as I proceed to surrender my OBC certificate that is still with me, they will cancel my EWS certificate, and prosecute me for possession of two certificates at the same time. 

How to go forward in this matter so that I can at least Question how can the clause in self-declaration deny me benefits when the EWS certificate clearly excludes only 'SC/ST/OBC (Central list)'?

In my defence,

1) I have never obtained benefits of OBC-NCL,            2)I have followed the OBC list on State govt website,                                                                              3)I want to surrender the existing OBC-NCL (last renewed before EWS application) voluntarily.             4)I have only applied with EWS, have not received appointment using EWS benefits, thereby I'm not depriving another genuine candidate of his rightful claim.

Please help!!

Learning

1 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     20 July 2022

EWS certificate is just like an income certificate and should not be confused with the caste certificate. On the basis of EWS certificate, an individual can avail the benefit of reservation of 10% for the EWS section in government jobs and higher educational institutions across the country

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register