LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Satya (Manager)     12 February 2011

NRI wants to buy property in his absence


I am a NRI. Planning to buy a property (Land) in Bhubaneshwar, Orissa.

Can my father register the property on my name in my absence?

I know there is a form 32A of Registration act 1908 but do not know the complete procedure.

Can you please help provide the information?

Many thanks!


 5 Replies

G. ARAVINTHAN (Legal Consultant / Solicitor)     12 February 2011

you have to appoint power of attorney to your father and your father can purchase of your behalf in your name.

Power of attorney to be engrossed and registered in India

Satya (Manager)     12 February 2011


Do i have to be in India to 'engross and register' the power of attorney? Also do I have to send Form 32A of Registration act 1908??

Appreciate your help!!

rajesh V nair (lawyer)     12 February 2011

ask ur father to prepare power of attorney authorising father to purchase land on behalf of u.send the POA to u and u can execute the same from indian embasssy and send back to father can buy the property on ur behalf.

Nivedita   18 September 2020

Dear Mr. Satya

I understand buying property in India for an NRI can be a tedious process. This resource- NRI property buying in India has proven to help my NRI friend with all the legal documentation and procedure required to buy property in India. Hope it helps!  


Neha Sharma (Student)     05 January 2022

Yes, you can give your father a power of attorney to register a property on your behalf

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query