LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More


NRI Marriage

My sister married an NRI through internet matrimonial site. At the time of marriage my sister's marital status was unmarried and he is a divorced man. Marriage took place in India according to Hindu custom and also we got temple certificate that marriage has been solemnised. When we went to register the marriage in court they asked for NOC from the guy and as he didn't had brought the NOC marriage was not registered. The guy told the registrar that as he can't come again he would sign a power of attorney. The power of attorney was signed whereby he declared that he will send the NOC and that he has appreared before the registrar and that he gives power to his wife to collect the marriage certificate on his behalf. He also gave us his divorce papers (photocopy) and passport driving licence (photocopy).After that he also made the girl sign the sponser papers and left India saying that he will send the NOC and also do the documentation process.

Now the concern is since he left he has not called my sister. My sister writes emails and he just sends read receipts of that emails, he doesnt pick my sister's calls when she calls her. It has been 20 days now. We called up her sister and she says that he even doesnt picks her calls and he might be busy. We are worried that god forbid maybe we have fallen into the trap of NRI marriage fraud.

Please guide as how shall we proceed now or shall wait for more time or if we are a victim of fraud marriage what can we do and what are my sister's rights. Please advise. Thanx


 2 Replies

Harsh (Advocate)     23 March 2011

I would be able to assist in your case. 
You can further contact me on
I am a practicing lawyer .
Harsh Parekh
9971780620 (M)


Through some known sources in toronto canada we came to know that he is no longer interested in my sister and that he has cheated us and is is filing a case against us for divorce. Though we have lodged an FIR against him that he has played a fraud marriage just for s*xual pleasure and did not responded after leaving India, please kindly guide us as to whom to report here in India and how to proceed to the Canadian embassy and as how can we lodge a report at his country canada too. Please guide us we are very much upset. Thanx

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register