LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ashish   19 March 2016

Notice issued before cheque is presented for payment

: Me and my brothers lived in a joint family. Due to some misunderstandings we got seperated. we also divided our assets and liabilities. During the time we are living together we gave Rs 35 Lakhs to some other party. Since we are being seperated now, i told my brother to give me only Rs 2.5 lakhs instead of sharing that 35 lakhs between us, and he agreed and issued a post dated cheque for Rs 2.5 lakhs which is dated after six months. After the said period of 6 months, when i tried to present the cheque for payment, he gave me a notice that since he was unable to collect a single rupee, he told me not to deposit the cheque in the bank. he also mentioned in the notice that he would issue a new cheque for above said amount with out any date mentioned on the cheque. My query is that can i sue my brother by depositing that cheque in the bank or since he issued a notice expressing his unwillingness to pay the amount i cannot sue against him? Please Resolve my Query as soon as possible.

Learning

2 Replies

Adv. Deepak (Advocate)     19 March 2016

You can send him a reply that considering his request, you will wait for 15 days from the receipt of reply by him and in case, you do not receive the fresh chque, you will deposit the cheque in the bank and your brother will be responsible for the consequences.  Within 15 days from receipt of reply, in case your brother does not issue a fresh cheque, you can deposit the cheque you are having with you and sue your brother under negotiable instruments act.

saravanan s (legal advisor)     19 March 2016

Make sure that you do whatever adv deepak had said before the cheque expires.the validity of cheque is three months from the date of issue

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register