LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Percy.Naval. Khambatta   01 March 2024

Non occupancy charges


I stay with my family in a co operative houseing society in colaba mumbai since 1965 and always have been paying society outgoings in advance for the year whatever asked from me and my family.to the year.

Recently a new committee  was  formed and a tenant who is a lawyer has started instigating the committee to charge non occupancy  charges for past 30 years saying we have not paid.

My question to the lady on the society whatsapp group.if she was aware of such a lapse.why was she quiet for 30 years and suddenly woken up for the same.

So my present outgoing quarterly is 16000 /-per quarter maintainence charges are around 8700/- so a few questions .

1.is there a time bar as they have never asked me to pay this amount.

2.if I have to pay do I pay on the full quarterly amount or on 8700/-.

3.any other input learned people can give.

4.i am presently 64 years old and at my wits end as to what amount they will present me with .I am will to pay a reasonable amount out of decency and to maintain peace but won't be able to pay if amounts in lakhs.

Any advice will be appreciated. 

God bless.



 4 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     01 March 2024

If you have paid the maintenance charges without any default then what is your problem, why do you respond to the whats app call demanding the payment.

If at all the society makes a demand, they may have to notify you officially giving a demand notice and cannot adopt such tactics.

You discuss with the management of the society and ascertain the details and facts and then take a wise decision

Percy.Naval. Khambatta   02 March 2024

Based on her instigation the management is going to send me a notice so I need to be prepared with the above questions as I am a ordinary person without legal knowledge.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     02 March 2024

If the society issues a legal notice then you may contact an advocate and issue a reply notice denying all their allegations.

Percy.Naval. Khambatta   03 March 2024

The idea of writing here is to get background knowledge and information.advocate would be the last resort. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register