LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

schpvred86 (Engineer)     18 January 2017

Need divorce certificate in india

Hello, I am an NRI. Got married in India in Nov 2011. Started living together in USA. We were not compatible and got separated in 2013 April. I was not interested in divorce but my ex wanted divorce and he applied for divorce and I didnot receive any documents since my ex dint know my address. He got exparte divorce in USA in April 2014 without my consent( valid in USA. He sent me divorce certificate . I didnot contest it since I was not interested and went through lot of stress. Coming to the question I want a divorce certificate in India for remarriage and avoid future trouble. How can I do it without contacting my ex. I donot know his whereabouts and difficult to approach him.
Thank You


 2 Replies

Samarpan (M)99958670740 (Free legal advice and legal aid cell)     18 January 2017

You can file divorce petition in the family court from the place where you are presently residing.  This divorce petition should accompany the divorce decree he got abroad.  You would mention his last known address in the petition.  If he doesn't respond, then the court will grant you ex-parte divorce decree, so that you can pursue your future without hassles.

whatnot   18 January 2017

Approach district court where divorce was filled. Each court website have detail on cases (you can search by name). Once you get relevant cases,ask clerk to send you a true copy (you have to bear the cost and postage).Or reach out to local lawyer and he will send it you.

Pretty straight forward in USA.. All cases are available online website.


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register