LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sun Star   18 March 2019

Name on Divorcee decree

After marriage, My wife took my last name and changed her last name in passport and other papers. Now she filed DV act case with her maiden name (as of before marriage) which us currently going on. My question is ..can wife do all legal work with her maiden name too? How about upcoming divorce? Should her maiden name print on divorce decree or name as of after marriage (with my last name)?


 7 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     18 March 2019

Did she get any violence at the behest of her ex-husband ?

Consult your lawyer, who is better equipped with facts of the case (which are missing/concealed by you), an able, competent and intelligent enough to satisfy your query.

Vijay Raj Mahajan (Advocate)     18 March 2019

She can use any name or surname she wants to till she is married. The objection for using different name/surname by same person has no legal issue if the person is identified by her counsel in the court proceedings. Using maiden surname is no crime for her any your objection is baseless.

Shashi Dhara   18 March 2019

Y u worry about it.give consent divorce and get release of her from Ur life.y u think about her present or past name.if u delete past ur future may be bright &colorful or. U. become free from past..

Sun Star   18 March 2019

If wife's wrong legal name is printed on divorce decree, it might create problem for me to prove I am divorced. This is the reason I asked this question.

ANAMIKA VICHARE (LAWYER)     10 April 2019

Please do not get stuckin your wifes's nam,  Se can use any name.   However, if you smell any foul play in using maiden name then bring that fact on record.   You can mention in your say to DV, that she is using your surnamein Passport and maiden name in dv matter and that her intention is not good, just to impress the official concerned authorities at Immigration level that these are two different person,then it is crime.   Just bring her intention on record.   A female may use any name but there should be continuity.   If such femles uses diferent names before different authorities, then itention is tained with mallafide intention.


ANAMIKA VICHARE (LAWYER)     10 April 2019

Wife can use any name.   But you point out as to why she ising different names before different authorities.


K.P.Satish Kumar (Advocate)     20 May 2019

file a petition to amend the cause title along with the name at the marriage time by putting alias otherwise it affects you 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register