Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Deepak (ITA)     29 May 2014

Name issue for me & wife on ids

Hi,

My Name is "Deepak Kumar" everywhere in all my documents and my father's name is "D N Singh" in some documents & "Dina Nath Singh" in some other documents. I belong to "Patwa" caste which is in OBC in both State Govt. Uttar Pradesh and Central Govt. India. My father never used "Patwa" as his title and used "Singh" as his title which is wrong as we dont belong to Rajput caste. I've old OBC certificate for both State & Central Govt. format. Many peoples from our caste write "Patwa" as their title. Anyway, I was okay to write my name as "Deepak Kumar" as all my documents have same name and atleast it does not have any wrong title if not having "Patwa" as title.

I recently got married and my wife maiden name is "Surbhi Sanoriya" and has this name in all her documents. Now this is again a wrong title used by their parents "Sanoriya" as they also belong to "Patwa" caste and her title should be the same.

As after marriage, girls name can be changed, so, I want to change her name to "Surbhi Patwa" and given the same name in my Office for their record. Now, I want to updated her Aadhaar card name also to "Surbhi Patwa" and make new driving license, voter id, passport, pan card with same name as she did not have these documents till yet.

Is it possible? One of my friend said, your wife name follows your title and would become "Surbhi Kumar" which would be wrong as "Kumar" is not a surname and generally used as middle name in India but it is being treated as my surname as my name don't have surname. Also, they said even if debate that "Kumar" is not surname, then your wife name follows your father surname and become "Surbhi Singh".

I want update my wife name as "Surbhi Patwa" in her Aadhaar card and make her IDs as mentioned above with same name. As mentioned, I have State & Central Govt. old OBC certificates. Please help me urgently!!!  :(:(

Learning

3 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     29 May 2014

Common usage. You can change your wife name by consistently using the new name after the marriage. This is called the common usage method, and no formal legal action is required.

This method should only be used by a wife who wishes to adopt her husband's last name. For any other type of name change, you should get a court order. If you choose the common usage method, you should take the following actions:

• Make sure your wife new name is on your marriage certificate.
  • Get a new driver's license and Social Security card with your new name of your wife. The Department of Motor Vehicles and the Social Security Administration will probably want to see your marriage certificate as proof of your wife new name.
  • Update your records. Contact your employer, bank, creditors, insurers, telephone company, and any other entity with whom you do business, and inform them of your wfe  new name. In addition, notify government agencies, such as your local post office, and state and local taxing authorities.

Deepak (ITA)     29 May 2014

Thanks sir for the reply.

Sir, I feel 2 issues here as below:-

1) My name has not any surname on any documents and therefore "Kumar" has been treated as surname at many places. So what does my wife surname will follow. I want to make her name as "Surbhi Patwa" as we bolong to "Patwa" caste.

2) For marriage certificate, will it need ID proof of my wife? In that case, she only has Aadhaar cardand school & college marksheets & certificates which all have "Surbhi Sanoriya" as her name. Then, can her name be written as "Surbhi Patwa" on marriage certificate?

Also, I want to update her name from "Surbhi Sanoriya" to "Surbhi Patwa" on Aadhaar card. Sir, how to do the same as Aadhaar card name updation again need a ID proof with desired name

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     31 May 2014

query repeated, visit your previous thread to see my opinion to the issue.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register