Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

savita (not applicale)     08 October 2013

Name change after divorce

Hello,

One of my friend's wife obtained divorce before CJSD with mutual consent by filing petition u/s 13-B of the Hindu Marriage Act some time back and the decree is already passed.

Her maiden name was "ABC" and after marriage she became "XYZ".

In the said marriage petition while taking divorce, and her supporting affidavit, she clearly declared that, after divorce, she will not use the name of her husband i.e. her matrimonial name (XYZ) in future and that she will be known by her maiden name only (ABC). She also declared in the petition and her affidavit that she will withdraw the pending cases against the husband after divorce and will ensure that no legal actions are taken against the husband in the pending cases, which were filed by her, untill the said case is fully withdrawn/closed by her.

However, after the divorce, she again approached the J.M.F.C. Court, where the old pending cases are, and now she, in that old name of XYZ (her matrimonial name) is again proceeding in that matter with her cunning motives.

Is it now possible for her to continue in the old cases, that too by continuing the matrimonial name (XYZ)? Or is it that the pending case has automatically become void, as she had declared that she will not use the same name (XYZ) after divorce ??  In such case, she cannot even withdraw the pending case after divorce, as the pending case was filed by her using her matrimonial name (XYZ).

Please advise...

Thank you.

Learning

2 Replies

HK_Jain... (498a Fighter)     08 October 2013

Savita,

Reading your query I just clicked some lines of WS.

“What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet.”

― William Shakespeare,

Legally, She can..

Samir N (General Queries) (Business)     09 October 2013

There is a supreme Court opinion that a husband can demand that the wife stop using his last name. It is based upon a judgement of the High Court of Bombay. However, the husband must show that the wife will be misusing the last name or at least that there is a potential for misuse of the last name. Try to get the judgments from the net. If you cannot find them, send me PM and I will try to send them to you. I have them somewhere...

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register